Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:41 PM   #31
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elo View Post
One of the main things that scares me about the 50D is that its been out for almost 1 year... I fear soon as I buy it they release the 60D or what ever model is next =D and the T1i is farily new...
There is always another camera around the corner so buy when you are ready and never look back (unless the new one is announced then probably worth waiting).

Quote:
Well, I stop by Best Buy after work and got to handle both the T1i and the 50D. The 50D is a beast...feels very solid and well made, but its a little to large for my taste even though I do have big hands I liked the feel of the T1i so I guess its better that its cheaper for me
The 50D is certainly better built, I have the 30D (2 generations earlier), the T1i and some pro level Canon dSLR cameras too and the T1i is the most plastic/consumer feeling of everything. The T1i performs well but too small for me if I want continued use but fine for day to day shooting and certainly performs well. What is important is that you are comfortable with the camera as this will encourage you to use it more which is great.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Well, I stop by Best Buy after work and got to handle both the T1i and the 50D. The 50D is a beast...feels very solid and well made, but its a little to large for my taste even though I do have big hands I liked the feel of the T1i so I guess its better that its cheaper for me
I got to hold the T1i tonight at a Sam's club, playing around while my wife was shopping. It is VERY similar in size and feel of the XSi that I keep for a back up and my 12 yr old son calls it the assistant's camera as he likes to shoot some with me. The 50D is heavier/bigger for sure. The XSi feels tiny after holding the 50D for a while.

Like I said earlier I changed mainly for the advantages the 50D gave me for sports and have been very happy so far. I think you would be very happy with either camera.

Best of luck on your final decisions (it is always exciting getting new gear) and I hope you post some pics.

Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 9:58 AM   #33
elo

Okay, I placed the order on amazon, am getting t1i with kit lens, 16gb card and a backpack. I'll order flash later I need to read more on it... i thout i knew what i wanted but NHL comments got me thinking..

going to do some more research.
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:06 AM   #34
Administrator

Congrats and please let us know how you like it once it arrives.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:27 AM   #35

Between the three Canon models suggested, I'd not hesitate to buy the T1i. It's been getting awesome reviews and apparently it also has excellent movie capabilities.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 9:14 AM   #36
elo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Between the three Canon models suggested, I'd not hesitate to buy the T1i. It's been getting awesome reviews and apparently it also has excellent movie capabilities.
I ordered the T1i 2 days ago, I get it in the mail today... I cant wait lol I almost called in sick but I figured I go crazy sitting at home waiting for the UPS guy to show up

All I need to do now is make up my mind on a flash 530 DG super or 430Ex ii
Old Aug 1, 2009, 7:27 PM   #37
elo

well I have had the camera for 2 days now, and have taken several shots around the house and at the park... Coming from a 4 year old Canon digital point and shoot that never left auto mode I am very exited to experiment with all the settings. I am slow learning but I have already seen how crappy auto can be. My first shots at the park were with auto and they looked fine since it was a bright day. but auto stinks in the shade and indoors.

anyways am happy so far.. and if I ever make a dime from taking pictures i'll use the money I make to buy more toys!
Old Aug 1, 2009, 11:11 PM   #38

Congrats on your new camera. Looking forward to seeing some images.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 12:29 AM   #39

Congratulations on the new camera! Be sure to order an extra battery for the camera, and one for the flash. Recharge all the batteries the day before the birthday party. You might just need a second / spare SD card too.

Also, since your wife so graciously volunteered you - you are going to need some serious practice (and a willing victim - er subject) - so follow your wife around the house (for several hours - the duration of the party) with camera/flash, practicing getting shots of all the tasks, cooking, laundry, vacuuming, etc. I am not making a joke, but this will give you a lot of experience to see and to quickly compose the shot, take the shot and move on to the next. Then, go through all of the shots - and you will see what worked and what did not. That is the only real way I can see you getting enough experience with the camera and flash together, so that when the occasion comes - you are ready. Do it soon, so that if you need some additional practice, you will still have the time.

It is also a tryout of the camera, flash and you. Also, just another thought - just in case - bring the battery charger, so if you do have to switch out batteries, take the drained battery and recharge it at the party, just in case the party goes on longer than expected.

just some thoughts...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote