Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:57 AM   #1
elo

Default XS-$519 XSi = $649 and T1i = $799 Ahh..

Recently I was volunteered to be a photographer for a sweet sixteen that is coming up in September 09. I first learned about this when I received the invitation in the mail and I was listed as the photographer. My wife was told but I was not. To try and cheer me up my wife told me I can buy what ever camera I want and use this event as en excuse.

I currently have a cheap Canon power shot A620 and it has taken some great pictures for me.

Before all of this came up I was looking at getting a Canon power shot SX10is but now am thinking that I really like to get a DSLR, I have used 35mm SLR (rebel gold something) and have always enjoyed its performance. When I got my A620 in 2005 I did not feel that DSLR were worth the money. But now that I am revisiting the subject am extremely pleased to see how far DSLR have come in the last few years.

The dilemma for me is now… which one to buy obviously money is an issue.. I can spend up to or over $1000 us dollars but I don’t know if that would be a wise thing for me to do.

So here is the list, listed by price.

XS $519-seems like it will do a great job

XSi $649-Same as XS with a few upgrades. Is it worth the extra $130?

T1i $799-If I go for the XSi should I just not get the T1i and have the latest rebel??

Unfortunately, from what I have read so far seem that the 50D seems to be the best investment but the price seems to go way, way up even for an 08 version. $1249.

I have little experience being a photographer, I have taken photography courses in college but I am still a rookie. But I wanted to start doing this and using the party as an excuse to get started. But who knows maybe I can find a way to make money on the side with this camera =)

Thanks for reading.
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:23 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elo View Post
To try and cheer me up my wife told me I can buy what ever camera I want and use this event as en excuse.
Hmm.... any camera, huh? How about this:

Nikon D3x, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S, Nikon SB-900 Flash

You could probably get that combo for around $9,750.00 if you shop around (just make sure to buy from an Authorized Nikon dealer that's selling Nikon USA models). Of course, it would be good to duplicate it (more than one body, lens, flash) so that you'd have a spare system if something breaks. So, figure around $20K with extras for two systems. ;-)

I dunno... If I were picking from one of those 3 Canon models, I'd be inclined to go with the T1i for more flexibility in more conditions (especially given the higher available ISO speeds and decent AF system). But, if you're on a tight budget, it might be better to put any extra cash into better lenses, a decent flash, etc.

I'd make sure to include a good flash in a kit for taking photos at something like a Birthday party, regardless of the camera model you go with. For Canon models, I'd look at the 430EX II or 580EX II, depending on budget.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's.

Before we get down to specifics do you know what the organisers/parents of the sweet sixteen party are expecting and is this paid work or just a bit of fun?

The reason I ask is that you don't want to end up giving them less than they hope for as this could be bad. We don't have such parties in the UK but I think the sweet 16 party is quite a big thing out there.

Next you will not only need a camera/lens but also a good external flash and some practise at using them so you can get the shots in the probably awkward lighting conditions.

Looking ahead, if you are going to be doing photographic work for money you really need to have 2 of everything as if something goes down you can still shoot. It doesn't matter if only shooting for fun as you just stop but if it is paid then it is your responsibility to keep going to capture what is paid for.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:36 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Jim, I hate it when that happens, I was writing this, got a phone call, finished, posted and you had already answered LOL. At least you answered the question, I just put out the public advisory LOL.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Administrator

That happens to me, too (someone else posts before I finish typing my reply). But, I'm sometimes a bit "long winded", adding to the time it takes me to finish a reply. ;-)

Of course, I couldn't help teasing the OP about a higher end dSLR, given his wife's comments. So, research time also enters into how long it takes me to finish a reply. For that one, I had to research current prices for the Nikon D3x, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S lens and Nikon SB-900 flash.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:45 AM   #6
Super Moderator

It would be a nice setup for sure, but I think I would throw in some studio lights and a portable background for some posed studio shots.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:51 AM   #7
elo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Hi and welcome to Steve's.

Before we get down to specifics do you know what the organisers/parents of the sweet sixteen party are expecting and is this paid work or just a bit of fun?
Mark,
Its for family and they are on a budget so it will be for free. I wont know if I would pursue this later for money but this will at least give me a taste of what to expect. I have downloaded check list so I know what events to shot. But again this is the first time I do anything of this scale.

Jim,
Spending $9k is to much for me. I can do about $1k max. If I do something cheap like the XS I can buy all the extra gear with it. If I do the T1i I would need to stick with kit and take time to get the accessories.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
It would be a nice setup for sure, but I think I would throw in some studio lights and a portable background for some posed studio shots.
Sure...

Nikon's flash system is pretty nice, though. So, you could use multiple SB-900s (since you'd want spares anyway), setting ratios as desired to get the lighting needed, with the light modifiers/reflectors/backgrounds you want to use with them. ;-)
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Super Moderator

That's ok just wanted to be sure as we often get people coming in who are looking to shoot for money for say a wedding and didn't want to set you up for a major fall and a lot of hurt from potential clients.

The 9k was just tongue in cheek from Jim. I would go for at least the XSi which as a better AF from what I know. This will help give you a better low light accuracy. No matter which camera you will need the external flash.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:56 AM   #10
elo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
That happens to me, too (someone else posts before I finish typing my reply). But, I'm sometimes a bit "long winded", adding to the time it takes me to finish a reply. ;-)

Of course, I couldn't help teasing the OP about a higher end dSLR, given his wife's comments. So, research time also enters into how long it takes me to finish a reply. For that one, I had to research current prices for the Nikon D3x, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S lens and Nikon SB-900 flash.
I'll keep this setup in mind in case I hit the lottery =D,