Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:49 PM   #1

Default Panasonic FS3 vs FS6?

Hi

I have had a look around today for a new digi cam to replace my broken Canon Ixus 55.

I have seen the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS3 for 80 and FS6 for 100 but I am wondering if there are major differences between the two to justify spending the extra 20? Having had a look around the only real difference I have seen is that the FS3 has x3 optical zoom and the FS6 has x4 optical zoom.

I am sure there are some differences with the lenses but I don't really know what these are as i don't really know much about digi cameras.

I am looking for a camera to use on nights out with friends and whilst on holiday, so something that is quick and easy to use with a decent auto function.

Thanks

Mark
djphatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2009, 9:48 AM   #2

If you're fussy about color quality, that has improved substantially with the FS6. For casual snapshots in crummy light, the differences may not be worth the 20. I would go for the FS6 myself.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
If you're fussy about color quality, that has improved substantially with the FS6. For casual snapshots in crummy light, the differences may not be worth the 20. I would go for the FS6 myself.

Kelly Cook
Called back today to find out that both of them were display models, so I didnt bother thinking I could find them online for the same price but both models appear to be out of stock everywhere so I have been looking at the FS7 and FS62.

Cannot find any reviews of the FS62 but looking at the specs the FS7 and FS62 appear to be identical apart from the LCD screen size (2.7in v 2.5in).

Any suggestions between the two? Is the FS62 likely to have better firmware/software with it being a newer model?
djphatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:34 PM   #4

Dunno. I failed to find any real differences between the FS7 and FS62 too.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 11:22 AM   #5

I have been spending quite a lot of time on the Panasonic website recently so I can tell you what I found (using the comparison tool on the site).

FS3 - Mega OIS (no Automode), 3x Zoom, additional 1 area high speed metering, no WVGA video recording, no digital red eye correction, no direct IA button, no macro zoom, does 330 pictures on one charge

FS6 - Mega OIS (auto mode), 4x zoom, more image scene modes like Photoframe, Film Grain, Transform, QVGA & WVGA video reording, IA direct button, digital red eye correction, macro zoom, does 400 pictures on one charge

I hope this helps

Josh
dpxcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 11:24 AM   #6

I have been spending quite a lot of time on the Panasonic website recently so I can tell you what I found (using the comparison tool on the site).

FS3 - Mega OIS (no Automode), 3x Zoom, additional 1 area high speed metering, no WVGA video recording, no digital red eye correction, no direct IA button, no macro zoom, does 330 pictures on one charge

FS6 - Mega OIS (auto mode), 4x zoom, more image scene modes like Photoframe, Film Grain, Transform, QVGA & WVGA video reording, IA direct button, digital red eye correction, macro zoom, does 400 pictures on one charge

I hope this helps

Josh
dpxcam is offline   Reply With Quote