Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:21 AM   #1

Default D90 or New Lens?

Hello,

I am relatively a newbie, but am really getting into this thing the last few months adn would like to expand my equipment. I currently have a D50 which I got for Christmas back in 2006. The only lenses I have are the 28-80kit lens (pretty dinky IMO) that came with the camera and the nikkor 55-200 4-5.6.

I was wondering if anyone had opinions on which would be a smarter option. Uprgrade to the d90 or spend that money one one or two really good lenses? If option 2 then any reccomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
newphotogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:44 AM   #2

The D90 is a very nice camera, and would be a significant upgrade from your D50, but it would be wasted on the lenses you've got now.

What do you want to do that you can't do now?

... and how much do you have to spend? (I presume it's at least enough to buy the D90.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Administrator

It would probably be a good idea to let members know what you like to shoot more often for better responses. ;-)

If you're not shooting action where the faster Autofocus of the D90 comes into the equation, or you're not shooting in low light where higher available ISO speeds may be more desirable, then it may not make much sense to upgrade, depending on the use for the images.

But, even if you do upgrade, you'll need to consider lenses that make sense for the conditions you shoot in more often.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:50 AM   #4

Sorry about that. Mostly portraits (family/kids), though I am getting into more nature/landscape stuff. Does this help?
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:53 AM   #5

That was what I was thinking. I don't really want to spend much more than a thousand or so. My biggest complaints about the d50 are the small lcd, no DOF preview button, and no video option.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:12 AM   #6
Administrator

I wouldn't miss those features. But, to each their own. ;-)

For portraits, an external flash like the SB-600 could be a good idea if you don't have one already. I'd probably want a lens starting out wider than your current lenses, too.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:16 AM   #7

Your probably right, minor annoyances more than major complaints. I am probably sticking with the d50 for now. I was thinking of adding either the 17-50 2.8 tamron or the comparable sigma (the nikon is 3xs as expensive). Any opinion?

Thanks again for your prompt replies.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:19 AM   #8
Administrator

The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is well liked. I'd probably look at the Tokina 16-50mm f/2.8, too.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:30 PM   #9

Though you may think you need a better camera I would first invest in better glass. Great glass is priceless, and many times worth more as time goes on; Camera bodies become obsolete every Monday as soon as the new news comes out.
MHO.
J
jmoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 1:43 PM   #10

Thanks for all your help it's much appreciated. I will definitely check out the Tokina lens.