Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Unless I missed it, the OP hasn't mentioned any SLR experience, and indicates she's been using the Canon SD700 IS, a subcompact camera weighing in at around 6 ounces. ;-) LOL

So, given the comments about finding a Nikon D90 with the 18-105mm kit lens too heavy when trying it in a store, I'd suggest sticking with the light weight kit lenses to get some more experience before spending a lot of money on a more expensive (and heavier) alternatives.
I just made a trip to the store again and the D90 despite the very good results people have been raving about including moi, I don't see myself carrying it all the time because of its weight.

Because I have tried the XSi before, this time I tried the T1i and I'm glad to say the pics I took where pretty comparable with the d90.

Here comes my questionS again...

Is a 17-85mm IS a better lens than 18-55mm IS to start with?
Or is there a better starter lens than the two which would give me a good range?

What's a good flashgun for both?

Thanks again,
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
Considering your dislike of heavy cameras, here's something to think about. How about a lightweight DSLR like the Canon T1i with the lightweight kit lens for most of your shooting and a lightweight ultrazoom like the upcoming Panasonic FZ35 for long shots?
Thanks AndyfromVA!

Which Canon lightweight lens are you talking about?

Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Thanks AndyfromVA!

Which Canon lightweight lens are you talking about?
I was thinking the standard 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS lens. Not a bad lens for the price. The T1i package would cost about $810. Then add the Panasonic FZ35 (early reviews are very positive) to get good close macro and long range shooting for another $350. You'd then have a very nice, versatile system involving two lightweight, easy to handle cameras.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 2:40 AM   #24
Super Moderator

The 17-85 IS is a slightly better lens than the 18-55 IS in some ways.

It has a bigger zoom range, faster AF, and better build quality. Optically however the 18-55 IS kit lens is at least as good and better in some respects. I once owned a 17-85 IS and found it to be pretty good, but I used DXOOptics for corrections routinely.

The newer 17-55 f2.8 IS is the best EF-S lens Canon make. It is of exceptionally high quality, but it does cost ten times what the 18-55 IS kit lens costs and twice as much as the 17-85. I have been using a FF camera for quite a long time now, so I haven't owned one.

The T1 has a much better LCD screen and Video. To me that is more than sufficient reason to spend the extra.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:10 AM   #25

Quote:
I was thinking the standard 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS lens. Not a bad lens for the price. The T1i package would cost about $810. Then add the Panasonic FZ35 (early reviews are very positive) to get good close macro and long range shooting for another $350. You'd then have a very nice, versatile system involving two lightweight, easy to handle cameras.
Thanks Andy!

I'll try to see what I can do with the FZ35. It's not out yet, right?
I'm not sure if I'll do a good job shuffling from one make to the other but we'll see
Old Aug 4, 2009, 7:14 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
The 17-85 IS is a slightly better lens than the 18-55 IS in some ways.

It has a bigger zoom range, faster AF, and better build quality. Optically however the 18-55 IS kit lens is at least as good and better in some respects. I once owned a 17-85 IS and found it to be pretty good, but I used DXOOptics for corrections routinely.

The newer 17-55 f2.8 IS is the best EF-S lens Canon make. It is of exceptionally high quality, but it does cost ten times what the 18-55 IS kit lens costs and twice as much as the 17-85. I have been using a FF camera for quite a long time now, so I haven't owned one.

The T1 has a much better LCD screen and Video. To me that is more than sufficient reason to spend the extra.
Thanks P for the input. We'll definitely try the 17-55 IS. Gotta go the store again
Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:13 AM   #27

Quote:
Thanks P for the input. We'll definitely try the 17-55 IS. Gotta go the store again
Amazon.com has the 17-55mm for a "mere" $931. But you can get free shipping!
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:52 AM   #28

Lady Q-

Perhaps a high quality superzoom like the Canon SX-1, SX-10, or Sony HX-1 would give you a smaller lighter kit, with video clips, macros, and on out to 500mm+ of zoom all in one camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 6:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Lady Q-

Perhaps a high quality superzoom like the Canon SX-1, SX-10, or Sony HX-1 would give you a smaller lighter kit, with video clips, macros, and on out to 500mm+ of zoom all in one camera.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for replying Sarah Joyce.
Are those compacts? I'm kinda looking into the SLRs
Old Aug 4, 2009, 6:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Amazon.com has the 17-55mm for a "mere" $931. But you can get free shipping!
No thanks. I dont trust the post office will handle my camera or lens well. Some just throw boxes without care. I dont want the hassle of making returns.