Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:00 PM   #31
elo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyQ View Post
No thanks. I dont trust the post office will handle my camera or lens well. Some just throw boxes without care. I dont want the hassle of making returns.
i buy about 99% of all my big ticket stuff online.... and thats because I know how ups treats packages tosses things around ect yet 100% of everything I have ordered is always in perfect condition.

this includes all PC and pc related stuff, like 28in monitor, plasma 50in tv ect.. all has arrived in great condition because manufactures do a great job with packaging.
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:18 PM   #32

Good Evening, In reading the postings here, I have a couple of comments. In terms of using any of the delivery services (USPS, FedEX or UPS), how do you think that the items actually makes it to the camera shop? I would not worry too much about this. 2 camera bodies and a number of lenses later, they all arrived in perfect condition. --- and very few other folks here on Steve's have reported problems.

In that apparently size/weight is one of the main selection criteria here, along with needing a dSLR - how about considering the Panasonic G1 or GH1 (if you want videos)? The G1 is a small dSLR with a body weight of about 12 oz. The lenses are of reduced size also. The reason for the reduced size is the use of the 4:3 sensor, a micro 4:3 lens mount and the removal of the mirror assembly allowing the lenses to move closer to the sensor. The viewfinder is a small tv monitor, providing you live view. It has a number of lenses - and that is the major problem - the lens selection is limited (but growing), however with what is available currently, you can do everything you desire (14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS, 45-200mm f/4-5.6 OIS, a 14-140mm f/4-f.5.6 OIS, and a 7-14mm f/4 lenses). The lenses are optically stabilized. It will run around $1,200 for the body and the 2 kit lenses. Here is a review from a very respectable photographer...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...sonic-g1.shtml
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...noisydeals9-20
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCG1/DMCG1A.HTM

and if you really want to dent your savings account and go for some really high quality glass, you can (via a mount adapter) use Leica and Ziess lenses...

http://www.outbackphoto.com/CONTENT_..._G1/index.html

hope that helps...

Last edited by interested_observer; Aug 4, 2009 at 11:32 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:21 PM   #33
elo

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
Good Evening, In reading the postings here, I have a couple of comments. In terms of using any of the delivery services (USPS, FedEX or UPS), how do you think that the items actually makes it to the camera shop?
I loled, Its true local shops get all there stuff via ups/fedex or usps....
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 7:02 AM   #34

Quote:
Good Evening, In reading the postings here, I have a couple of comments. In terms of using any of the delivery services (USPS, FedEX or UPS), how do you think that the items actually makes it to the camera shop? I would not worry too much about this. 2 camera bodies and a number of lenses later, they all arrived in perfect condition. --- and very few other folks here on Steve's have reported problems.

In that apparently size/weight is one of the main selection criteria here, along with needing a dSLR - how about considering the Panasonic G1 or GH1 (if you want videos)? The G1 is a small dSLR with a body weight of about 12 oz. The lenses are of reduced size also. The reason for the reduced size is the use of the 4:3 sensor, a micro 4:3 lens mount and the removal of the mirror assembly allowing the lenses to move closer to the sensor. The viewfinder is a small tv monitor, providing you live view. It has a number of lenses - and that is the major problem - the lens selection is limited (but growing), however with what is available currently, you can do everything you desire (14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS, 45-200mm f/4-5.6 OIS, a 14-140mm f/4-f.5.6 OIS, and a 7-14mm f/4 lenses). The lenses are optically stabilized. It will run around $1,200 for the body and the 2 kit lenses. Here is a review from a very respectable photographer...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...sonic-g1.shtml
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...noisydeals9-20
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCG1/DMCG1A.HTM

and if you really want to dent your savings account and go for some really high quality glass, you can (via a mount adapter) use Leica and Ziess lenses...

http://www.outbackphoto.com/CONTENT_..._G1/index.html

hope that helps...
Thanks for the reply! I haven't purchased anything yet. I get so confused even the guy in the camera store is so confused with what I want. I've been testing Nikon with a certain type of lens and same with Canon. I think he's about to give up on me

Now I have to see what you are talking about.. Panasonic G1... Panasonic... don't they make appliances, like tv? Isn't it better to get a camera from real camera makers?
Old Aug 5, 2009, 7:03 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by elo View Post
I loled, Its true local shops get all there stuff via ups/fedex or usps....
But I had a bad experience with UPS.. so I just wont trust them again.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 8:07 AM   #36

Quote:
Now I have to see what you are talking about.. Panasonic G1... Panasonic... don't they make appliances, like tv? Isn't it better to get a camera from real camera makers?
Panasonic has been making digital cameras since at least 2001. They make other products but so do other camera manufacturers. Canon makes copiers. Sony and Samsung make TV's.

The G1 and GH1 are excellent cameras with terrific picture quality. I own the Panasonic FZ28, which I think is one of the best ultrazooms around.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 8:56 AM   #37

Real camera makers? There are quite a few of them, beyond Canon and Nikon. Pentax has been making cameras for almost 100 years (and makes some of the finest lenses ever made), here is an interesting read... http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...02-05-02.shtml

Sony purchased Konica Minolta. Panasonic has teamed with Leica on quite a few cameras - using Leica lenses (LX3, etc.), although mainly P&S units. Then there are Carl Zeiss Jena, Deardorff, Linhof, Mamiya, Hasselblad, etc. and the list goes on...

Cameras for the most part today are essentially specialized signal processing computers. You have the lens to collect and focus the light. The sensor which is a silicon semiconductor that senses the light turning it into electrical signals, a specialized signal processing chip that interpretates the output from the sensor, creating the picture. And then a somewhat of a standard computer that takes the picture and stores it in the memory, and runs the camera for the user (knobs, buttons and dials).

On the other hand you can take an old tin coffee can, punch a small hole in the bottom and mount a piece of film on the opposite end - instant camera.

Bottom line, I think what you are looking for is something that takes good pictures and is of a reasonable size and weight for you to haul around. Or is there a specific label that needs to be on the unit?

Just an illulstration - Panasonic has a wonderful point and shoot camera targeted toward wide angle use, the LX3 (with a Leica lens). Leica has essentially the same camera for twice the price, however it comes with the Leica red dot on the body, and a leather wrist strap. They both take essentially the same picture. The same camera, looks the same, same design, same factory, the same parts, pretty much the same software, and essentially the same user's manual....

http://ianho.blogspot.com/2008/11/pa...a-d-lux-4.html

... however there are some folks who will only use a Leica camera, and will die if they touch any other make.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 7:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Real camera makers? There are quite a few of them, beyond Canon and Nikon. Pentax has been making cameras for almost 100 years (and makes some of the finest lenses ever made), here is an interesting read... http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...02-05-02.shtml

That was a good article. But do you think the writer would still have the same opine if he wrote the same subject today? That was like 7 years ago. Technology has been evolving. Maybe Zeiss and Pentax do (or did) have the upper hand in creating quality lenses but there must be some company now which has equalled or surpassed the quality of the lenses made by "the gods" before.

Sony purchased Konica Minolta. Panasonic has teamed with Leica on quite a few cameras - using Leica lenses (LX3, etc.), although mainly P&S units. Then there are Carl Zeiss Jena, Deardorff, Linhof, Mamiya, Hasselblad, etc. and the list goes on...

Cameras for the most part today are essentially specialized signal processing computers. You have the lens to collect and focus the light. The sensor which is a silicon semiconductor that senses the light turning it into electrical signals, a specialized signal processing chip that interpretates the output from the sensor, creating the picture. And then a somewhat of a standard computer that takes the picture and stores it in the memory, and runs the camera for the user (knobs, buttons and dials).

On the other hand you can take an old tin coffee can, punch a small hole in the bottom and mount a piece of film on the opposite end - instant camera.

Bottom line, I think what you are looking for is something that takes good pictures and is of a reasonable size and weight for you to haul around. Or is there a specific label that needs to be on the unit?

Right now, I am so confused I dont even know what I want. This is really bad. Because of the info you've shared, I now have to look at the Pentax camera and maybe Panasonic too.. sigh

Just an illulstration - Panasonic has a wonderful point and shoot camera targeted toward wide angle use, the LX3 (with a Leica lens). Leica has essentially the same camera for twice the price, however it comes with the Leica red dot on the body, and a leather wrist strap. They both take essentially the same picture. The same camera, looks the same, same design, same factory, the same parts, pretty much the same software, and essentially the same user's manual....

http://ianho.blogspot.com/2008/11/pa...a-d-lux-4.html

... however there are some folks who will only use a Leica camera, and will die if they touch any other make.
I' pretty sure you're a Leicaholic I can tell.
So if I can invest in a Pentax, or Panasonic dSLR camera (because Leica doesn't have one), what are my options here on earth?

I really thank you for your insights and please don't give up on me.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 7:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
Panasonic has been making digital cameras since at least 2001. They make other products but so do other camera manufacturers. Canon makes copiers. Sony and Samsung make TV's.

Panasonic makes flat irons too ... pointless.. I know

The G1 and GH1 are excellent cameras with terrific picture quality. I own the Panasonic FZ28, which I think is one of the best ultrazooms around.
I will go check out your cam. From what I've read, it sounds interesting.
Btw, how does your FZ28 compare to the FZ38?
Thanks!

Last edited by LadyQ; Aug 5, 2009 at 7:52 PM. Reason: Question added...
LadyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 10:06 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyQ View Post
But I had a bad experience with UPS.. so I just wont trust them again.

UPS or the vendor shipping via UPS?

Let me be very clear..... I do not work for UPS. Personally I have a lot dislike directed towards the company. That said, there are so many alligations towards UPS (and FedEx, DHL, USPS etc) that I feel I must speak up from time to time.

I work for a small business. A good portion (maybe 15% of our resale goods and a good portion of our support supplies will arrive via UPS). Our daily shipping count of goods sold and shipped via UPS can be over 100 packages per day.

We are not huge, but in 30+ years I have seen the back end of many UPS delivery trucks (and every other package freight company as well) I have seen literally thousands of errors and potential errors. I would guess better than 99% of those errors are the fault of the shipper (vendor).

Not saying UPS makes mistakes.....because they really do make some great mistakes. But I suspect the primary cause of 995 out of 1000 damaged shipments is clearly the fault of the shipper.

Little things the shipper does, such as using a single wall box rated for 30 lbs burst to ship a valuable camera or computer parts rather than a double wall box rated for 30lbs crush, is prime example of the decisions vendors make to save a few bucks which costs the consumer time and frustration.

Are we perfect? No. Typically we have 2-3 damaged units per 10,000 packages shipped. Are all of those damages our fault? Tough to say. I would love to blame UPS, but I also know the products damaged and will honestly say that we (the vendor) are more likely to be culpable than UPS.

Evaluate this situation: Somebody shipped Chicklet Chewing Gum via UPS. The package broke open, spilling the Chicklets on the floor of the delivery truck. The driver, trying to avoid the Chicklets, missed some or did not see some, and lost his footing, causing him to slide down (backwards). The Driver, a rather big fellow, landed butt first on one of my packages.

Who is responsible for the damage to my package?

The answer is ME. My package should have been properly packaged such that normal accidents and incidents should not cause harm to the contents.

Ask the Chicklet question of just about any shipper (vendor). Those that blame UPS in the Chicklet question should never be trusted with your hard earned money.

PS: There are purportedly vendors with a damage rate of 1 per 100,000 packages shipped. I bet they plan on the delivery driver falling on their packages.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote