Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 2, 2009, 5:02 PM   #1

Default Canon 40D, pictures are not sharp

I have the Canon 40D and Canon 17-55 f2,8. When I zoom in at 100% in Photoshop Elements, my pictures are not 100 % sharp, even if the camera was on a tripod. I do some sharperning in PE. The camera and lens has been checked by a Canon repair centre and found to be spot on

I am thinking of upgrading to Canon 5D mk ii and Canon 24-105, but it is a lot of money. A cheaper solution would be Nikon D90 and Nikon 16-85.

Most of my pictures are of preserved trains, old railway buildings and landscape. Not very much action. Can somebody give me some advice.

Last edited by Labbegutt; Aug 2, 2009 at 5:06 PM.
Labbegutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2009, 5:13 PM   #2
Administrator

You may want to post some downsized samples of what you're talking about with some 100% crops of areas you think are not sharp enough. I'd make sure to use an editor that's not going to strip out the EXIF (don't use Save for Web with Photoshop).

If Canon says the camera and lens are fine, it's more likely something you're doing wrong (shutter speeds too slow, focus point not as intended, etc.), your expectations too high, or you are not understanding the Depth of Field you'll have for a given aperture/focal length/focus distance.

Also, the images from most dSLR models are going to benefit from a bit of sharpening (because most use relatively conservative sharpening by default to conserve more "real" detail). You're usually not going to be printing images at a size you'd have trying to look at a photo using a 100% viewing size on screen either, and if you did print an image that large, you'd probably be viewing it from further away. ;-)

IOW, I wouldn't rush out to replace your equipment before figuring out why the photos don't look as sharp as you expect to them to. There may not be a thing wrong with the camera.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 5:45 PM   #3

Default Some pictures

I have been taking thousand of pictures for many years. I have put the camera to the center focus point just to have more controll over where the focus is. I normally shoot my pictures at f8 to obtain a certain depth of field.

I try to post some pictures where I have framed around the point where I focused.
Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2009, 6:10 PM   #4
Administrator

Are those 100% crops? If so, they don't look too bad. If you look at some of the full size samples in the reviews here for other cameras (click on a thumbnail in the samples to get to the full size originals), finer detail (more distant foilage, etc.) often looks a bit soft at 100% viewing size, because you don't have a lot of pixels representing that fine detail in most cases.

Again, you're usually not going to be viewing an image at sizes that large.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 6:37 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I agree with Jim, if these are 100% then nothing wrong here from what I can see.

What do you use your photos for, are you printing very large, if not then you are not going to see the gains by upgrading. I have a 5D mkII with the 24-105 and sure it is a great combo, there are disadvantages to the large sensor as well as some nice gains.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 8:00 PM   #6

apply some more sharpening and boost the saturation a little. were these shot in RAW or Jpeg, give RAW a go if you haven't done so yet, you will have better quality and more control over conversion. also 40D has a pretty strong low-pass filter, so you have to use quite strong sharpening just to compensate. How do your shots look in print (A4 and larger)? Looking at your monitor at 100% is not the best way to judge sharpness. 40D is a very capable camera and 17-55 is supposedly a great lens (don't have one myself though).
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 3:37 AM   #7

Thank you all for good comments. You have probebly saved me a lot of money. I was thinking of buying thr EOS 5D II and 24-105.

The pictures I posted were all JPG-files straight out of the camera.