Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 2, 2009, 7:47 PM   #1

Default To DSLR or not

I'm a novice photographer eiger to learn. I love taking pictures of cars, family and architecture. Been doing some research on dslr and have read good things of the T1i. Currently I have a sd780 which i really like.

I would love to be able to take wideangle pictures of cars.

Currently costco has a deal on the t1i kit with a printer an a sd 2gb for 799 after mail in rebate. I'm really looking for options. Thanks
yositoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2009, 8:36 PM   #2

The Canon T1i is a fine camera, but wide angle photos of cars will create unusual perspectives.

See Best DSLR for an Exotic Car Dealer

Also, generally speaking, package deals aren't a good idea. If the printer is a good one, then go for it. The SD card will probably be a throw-away.

If the cars are moving, or any of the members of your family participate in sports, you might also want to consider a telephoto lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2009, 9:09 PM   #3

I wasn't planning on keeping the printer. If I could get 100 for the printer on ebay the camer would have cost 699.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 9:20 PM   #4

At either Adorama.com or BHPhotoVideo.com, the Canon T1i (body only) sells for $750 without the rebate, but with free shipping, and no sales tax (unless you live in NY, or the NYC metro area.) That might make a difference.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:18 AM   #5

Should I be looking at something other than a dslr?
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:29 AM   #6
elo

I got the T1i from Amazon with the kit lens for $799, I also got a Transcend 16GB SDHC Class 6 for $38.

So far I love the camera its is is way better than my old point and shoot. It is really fast, and has awsome manuel settings which will allow you to take some really neat pictures.

I am going to buy a flash next... lens later... both cost good chunk of change.
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:22 AM   #7

There are lots of wide angle compacts that can do a fine job with cars. For family shots, speed will be the DSLR advantage, more so than any improvement in IQ. It's for the architecture mission that the DSLR really comes into its own. But to play that game to the hilt you will need expensive glass. Really depends on how serious you want to get. Pocket compacts do have their place, many of us end up with both.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 8:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
There are lots of wide angle compacts that can do a fine job with cars. For family shots, speed will be the DSLR advantage, more so than any improvement in IQ. It's for the architecture mission that the DSLR really comes into its own. But to play that game to the hilt you will need expensive glass. Really depends on how serious you want to get. Pocket compacts do have their place, many of us end up with both.

Kelly Cook
Are there compacts that you can change the lens between wide angle and normal?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 8:57 AM   #9

A lot of the newer super-zooms start out at wide-angle. You can then zoom to whatever point you want. Some are the equivalent of 28mm to over 400mm.

You might do well to consider one of these, saving yourself quite a bit of money along with losing the hassle of lugging around heavy lenses (remember--you'll want more lenses than the kit lens) and changing them when necessary.
Editoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:56 AM   #10

Yos-

Take a good look at the Fuji F-70 camera which will be introduced this month. It starts with a 27mm wide angle and goes to 270mm. It has many advanced features, all in a very small and convenient package.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote