Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 5, 2009, 2:25 PM   #1

Default Canon Info -fact or fiction?

I was looking to buy a a2000 as I was told that it was intended to replace the a720 which I loved (though my a720 was just stolen a couple of weeks ago when someone knocked out the window of my Honda).
Anyways the a2000 does seem very appealing because I like the ability to use AA's and I like the slimmer size and the better zoom.

HOWEVER, It was just pointed out to me that Canon did not improve the processor on their camera but did up the megapixel to 10 which in turn is going go generate poor pictures. Is this really true or is this person just jaded with Canon for some reason? I would think Canon would have thought this through a little...

Any insight on this scenario would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by seattlefive; Aug 5, 2009 at 2:37 PM.
seattlefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2009, 2:49 PM   #2

Unless you can get a great deal on the A2000, go for the newer model, the A2100.

As far as picture quality is concerned, the A2000 and A2100 are just as good as the A720, maybe better. Canon did improve the processor - the A2000 and A2100 use a newer processor and a larger sensor. The A2000 and A2100 lack manual exposure controls and don't have an optical viewfinder. But their LCD screen is much larger and sharper than the A720's.

Last edited by AndyfromVA; Aug 5, 2009 at 3:49 PM.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 3:07 PM   #3

Canon added 2MP and used a slightly larger sensor, so I think the difference is negligible. However, they gave you a larger LCD, but they took away your viewfinder. If you were in the habit of using the viewfinder on your 720, you may want to consider that.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 3:15 PM   #4

I think Im good with not having a viewfinder, especially in trade for the larger screen mostly was really worried about a that processor after I heard that info. I couldnt imagine going backwards.

I was convinced because if you look on the specs of the two cameras the processor is called the same thing but sounds like from what you guys are saying is they did make some improvement to the processor.

Thanks for your feedback!
seattlefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 4:13 PM   #5

I didn't say they changed the processor - they didn't. I said they used a slightly larger sensor - they did. The A2100 uses the new Digic 4 Processor. The A2000 retained the Digic 3 processor.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote