Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Gerrydee-

Each camera, no doubt, has its advantages. Are you a Canon SX-1 owner?

Sarah Joyce
No I am not Sarah. I purchased the SX10. Here in Canada the SX1 is $325. MORE than the SX10. Definitely not worth the extra expense. At least not for me. I am very happy with the SX10 as an upgrade from my S3.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:11 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrydee View Post
No I am not Sarah. I purchased the SX10. Here in Canada the SX1 is $325. MORE than the SX10. Definitely not worth the extra expense. At least not for me. I am very happy with the SX10 as an upgrade from my S3.
Wise move, I only would suggest the SX1 to someone who shoots a lot of video wanting HD.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 2:24 AM   #13

I've read that the canon is not great in low light and that the sony is faster. Maybe canon has better video. Recently I've decided I really would like to shoot underwater, so that may be the deal breaker. Does anyone know if the hx1 really has no underwater housing? I read somewhere that they did, but I can't find it.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. I take a lot of pictures. Pictures of travels, pictures of my daughter, pictures of landscapes...

Last edited by mamaclare; Aug 27, 2009 at 2:27 AM. Reason: added
mamaclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 8:51 AM   #14

Sarah,

Didn't you return the HX1 ?
Was it because you just have other cameras you like better or was there something about the HX1 that made you decide to return?

I keep finding myself pulled toward the SX1 but the HX1 and now the Panasonic FZ35 are at least $100 cheaper.

For the OP, what does an underwater enclosure cost? If you can't find one for the HX1 does it make sense to custom make one? Seems like I saw where someone had developed a mask with a camera built in and it was cheap (which may mean worthless) but I can't remember the details.
Joe Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 9:30 AM   #15

Good Morning, Joe-

Yes, I did return the Sony HX-1. I returned it as I decided that I wanted the 24X optical zoom, Kodak Z-980 more than I wanted the HX-1. The HX-1 was the first step in Sony's CMOS imager development. I felt that further development would possibly lead to a better camera, and it has with the WX-1 and TX-1 to be on dealer's shelves in mid September. The secondary reason was a home front issue. My husband gently, but firmly, let me know that it was time to limit the number of cameras in this house.

The Panasonic FZ-35 is already stocked by B&H in New York, so I guess we have to acknowledge that it is now on dealer's shelves. The FZ-28 was an excellent camera, thus, it would be logical to assume that will be true for the FZ-35 as well. However, we will have to await the professional reviews on the FZ-35 to be sure.

Underwater enclosures vary in cost based on their size and complexity. They generally run between $(US) 250.00 to $(US) 500.00. The dive mask that you saw on TV sells for around $(US) 300.00, and not much detail was given about the spec's.

Have a good day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:59 PM   #16

And by the way, Joe-

The camera that Walter in Norway is using is the Panasonic FZ-28. The FZ-28 is now very hard to find, as it is being replaced by the FZ-35, which still has no professional review available on that new camera.

The FZ-28 was one of my favorite cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 27, 2009, 9:01 PM   #17

I can see why you liked it Sarah and I understand now why you have so many cameras ! Sorry to hijack this thread. Leaving now, I don't think we helped the OP much.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:01 PM   #18

Hi, Joe-

The bottom line is this: The Panasonic FZ-28 was a really gangbusters camera. Now they are no longer available. What will the new Panasonic FZ-35 be like?

Well, friends, we will have to await the professional reviews of that camera. The reviews will most probably come in September 2009.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 28, 2009, 4:56 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
The FZ-28 is now very hard to find, as it is being replaced by the FZ-35, which still has no professional review available on that new camera.
You can check out some of the reviews below. Steve's and DPR don't yet have reviews but these give a good insight.

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...c_fz38_review/

http://www.digitalversus.com/article-366-6009-60.html

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita...ix-DMC-FZ38/p1
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Hi, Joe-

The bottom line is this: The Panasonic FZ-28 was a really gangbusters camera. Now they are no longer available. What will the new Panasonic FZ-35 be like?

Well, friends, we will have to await the professional reviews of that camera. The reviews will most probably come in September 2009.

Sarah Joyce
I see them (FZ28) listed on Amazon but they run from $388 used to almost $600. Whats up with that when the replacement is priced at $400? One would hope the 35 is at least as good. Yes I know they pumped up the MP and probably the noise but $600 seems .....a tad high.