Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 6, 2009, 2:12 PM   #1

Default Canon SX1 or Sony HX1? Help.

My wife and I have narrowed the search down to the Canon Powershot SX1 IS and the Sony Cybershot DSC HX1. DSLR's really aren't an option. The megazoom on these cameras is the draw. Two things: I have just begun getting into underwater photography and my wife is interested in getting back into photography (not u/w). Second, we are going to be in Maui next February and are hoping to get some good shots in with the whales who migrate there around Hawaii for the winter. Hence the megazoom.

This could be our foray into the DSLR world, but right now this route with one of these cameras is the way to go.

The downside to the Sony for me is that I can't find and U/W housing for it and Ikelite does make one for the Canon and the Canon has RAW format.

Eventually I'll be getting a DSLR for the diving so I am still open to the Sony.

Any recommendations out there? Imput would be greatly appreciated.

DJM
djmccarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:41 AM   #2

DJM-

I have shot with both cameras and I personal preference goes to the Sony HX-1 camera. It has many innovative features that are not found on the Canon SX-1, such as the Twilight Mode and the Sweep Panorama Feature. It also shoots up to 10 fps.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 12:59 PM   #3

Thanks Sarah! That helps. The only thing that concerns me is that I read and heard that the Sony picture quality is not as good as the Canon. Have you been able to compare? Your thoughts?

Thanks!
DJM
Old Aug 7, 2009, 3:05 PM   #4

DJM-

I would personally judge the image quality of both camera to be very similar.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 10, 2009, 1:26 PM   #5

Thanks Sarah!
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:41 AM   #6

But the Sony HX-1 will only shoot @ 10 f/sec for 3 seconds I was told when I was checking out cameras at a camera shop yesterday. Then it has to digest the info and continue. It's called "Burst Mode".
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:57 AM   #7

Gerrydee-

However, there is no other point and shoot cameras other than the Sony WX-1 and TX-1 that can shoot at a rate of 10 fps. The delay after that burst of 10 shots is just like any other camera:the time required to write the photos taken to the electronic data card.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:23 PM   #8

I'm sorry but 3 seconds does not impress me. The SX1 takes 4 f/s without burping until you either stop or fill the memory card.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:54 AM   #9

Gerrydee-

Each camera, no doubt, has its advantages. Are you a Canon SX-1 owner?

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:11 AM   #10
Super Moderator

There are very few situations where one would need to have 10 fps and shoot for longer periods than 3 seconds. I have a Canon 1D mkIII which allows it to shoot at 10fps however it is rate to take more than 5 shots at a time when covering a sporting event. You then have to consider limitations in AF when using the Sony and Canon in these situations so you might be able to take lots of shots but are they going to be in focus?

There is nothing from the OP that suggests this feature is key so I would go Canon (I have an SX1 as a walk around camera) as I like the HD video and great sound. I've seen some nice underwater video from the SX1.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote