Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 8, 2009, 11:05 AM   #1

Default Please help a global traveler!

I will be leaving in two weeks on a 2 year/24 country mission trip and was interested in buying an updated digital camera. (the one I have is not very good)
I would like one that would fit in my pocket (1inch Deep or less)
Photo quality is number one importance, followed by zoom, then video taking capabilities, then speed.... probably in that order.
I will be outside most of the time and will be taking pictures of landscape, people, and small villages.
I'm stuck between Canon's "SD" series
Nikon's "S6" series.
And Leica and Lumix look pretty good, too but I don't have any idea if they compare with the first two brands I mentioned.
I would like the price to be under $500 (which almost all compacts are)

Thank You for sharing your knowledge
-Steve P.
steevo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2009, 1:39 PM   #2

The highly reviewed Panasonic ZS3 will fill the bil nicely. The new Fuji F-70 might also be a competitor to look at as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 6:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The highly reviewed Panasonic ZS3 will fill the bil nicely. The new Fuji F-70 might also be a competitor to look at as well.

Sarah Joyce

So you would rate the Panasonic and Fuji over Canon and Nikon? I will look into those two.
steevo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 6:40 PM   #4

This has nothing to do with the cameras, and I defer to mtclimber on that issue, but depending on where you go and how you get there, you might be better off with a camera whose brand is more recognizable as a camera manufacturer. That is, a third world customs agent, border guard, or police officer might more easily recognize a Canon or a Nikon camera than a Panasonic or a Fuji camera. And it might be easier to get support for a Canon or Nikon camera than for a Panasonuc or Fuji camera. Based entirely on that, I'd go with a Canon or a Nikon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 9:00 PM   #5

steevo-

Yes, I would rate Panasonic at least every bit as good as Canon and Nikon, in this instance, because they do not have a similar or competitive camera.

Wetravel 10 to 11 months every year all over the world. For example we are now completing our 605th cruise, and I have never had a problem with officials in any part of the world.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote