Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:18 PM   #1

Default which one? D60 or XS/i ???

Hi all,
did a lot of shopping around for cameras today. Within my price range I basically am limited to the XS or D60. Both of them feel about the same in my hand, although I do like the sound the D60 makes better when I shoot a picture, plus my friend has a Canon, so I like the idea of getting a Nikon just in spite!

These are of my body/lense options (I do want some zoom, I currently have an old S2IS with 12x optical which I use quite a bit).

I was wondering if anyone had any last minute thoughts, considering the body + lense combos and price.
prices are in canadian dollars

Thank you very much!!!

Nikon D60 w/ AFS DX 18-55mm VR & AFS DX 55-200mm (non-VR model) - $699
Nikon D60 w/ AFS DX 18-55mm VR & AFS DX 55-200mm VR - $899

Canon XS w/ 18-55mm IS & 55-200mm IS/USM - $899
Canon XS w/ 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm USM (non-IS model) - $799

Canon XSi w/ 18-55mm IS & 55-250mm IS/USM - $1099

btw, I really shoot a wide variety of things from stills, low light, movement etc. but nothing more so than the other.
bomberstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:58 PM   #2

For sports/action/wildlife, the Canon XSi is the best choice, followed by the XS. The Nikon D60 doesn't just bring up the rear, it performs poorly in this regard. (The spite thing will only work if your images are as good as his and you spent less money. If you both shoot sports/action/wildlife, the wisdom of picking Canon will ruin that for you.)

I'd go with the stabilized versions of the lenses, whatever body you pick.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 11:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
For sports/action/wildlife, the Canon XSi is the best choice, followed by the XS. The Nikon D60 doesn't just bring up the rear, it performs poorly in this regard. (The spite thing will only work if your images are as good as his and you spent less money. If you both shoot sports/action/wildlife, the wisdom of picking Canon will ruin that for you.)

I'd go with the stabilized versions of the lenses, whatever body you pick.

thanks! I was just joking about the spite thing haha.
That's funny though, because a guy in a camera store told me that the nikon would be better over the canon for movement, but canon would be better for stills. Although, I went to 4 camera stores today, and I feel like not one of the guys that I talked to could give me a straight answer about these cameras!
Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:21 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Of the packages you mention, avoid the Canon 75-300 (non-IS) it is a very old and very poor lens.

There's really not much to choose between these cameras under most circumstances. Choose the one that feels best.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberstud View Post
... That's funny though, because a guy in a camera store told me that the nikon would be better over the canon for movement, but canon would be better for stills. ...
The Nikon D60 only has 3 autofocus sensors, while the Canon XS has 7 and the XSi has 9. That's only a very elementary comparison, but it should provide some insight into how easily one camera can autofocus in situations where another can't.

And I second what peripatetic said about the Canon 75-300. If you need something that long, and are on a strict budget, the Tamron 70-300 Di LD is a better choice.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 4:01 PM   #6

The Nikon D60 has been replaced by the Nikon 3000. It has 11 point focus system over the 3 point on the 60, Gen II updates and really is a nice improvement over the D60 for the same price of $599 with the 18-55 lens. Go Nikon!
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 4:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
The Nikon D60 has been replaced by the Nikon 3000. It has 11 point focus system over the 3 point on the 60, Gen II updates and really is a nice improvement over the D60 for the same price of $599 with the 18-55 lens. Go Nikon!

Im just waiting for it to be released!
Old Aug 14, 2009, 4:49 PM   #8

The Canon lenses are better than the Nikon lenses, and the Canon telephoto is a 55-250 while the Nikon is only 55-200. I'd go with a Canon.

See SLRGear.com's test reports on the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR and Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 5:04 PM   #9

Hold them both before deciding. And get some flame resistant underwear !!!

Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony/Olympus all make good cameras. People will swear by one or the other. I liked the feel of the Nikon D40 in my hands more than the Canon 1000D or the 450D.

Matt
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote