Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 10, 2009, 4:17 PM   #1

Default I Need Help!

I am looking to purchase a camera to do close-up shots of still objects. So far, of all the cameras I've tried, the Canon G10 appears to give me the best true-to-life colors and details. I can't believe this is the only camera out there (well it's expensive), and I'm not ready to go professional as well. Any input is very much appreciated. Thanks.
etcbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:35 PM   #2

All Canon point and shoots take very good closeup shots, even the $125 A480. Obviously, you get better quality if you pay more but the question is whether the increase in quality is worth the extra expense. That's a question only you can answer.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 1:00 AM   #3

Thank you AndyfromVA. I do like the Canons. In fact I've owned a couple of their older SDs, but the shots have been somewhat lacking. I wonder which one of the newer SDxxx IS would approach the G10. Anyoneelse?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 4:33 AM   #4

I think a camera with IS could help you in many circustance when the subject is stop.
Perhaps you could evaluate even this feauture on your next buy.
You could by some used compact camera, in general their are very cheap, and it's very simple buy some "old" model.
Using the postwork you could adjust the color if they are too saturated.

From new model i don't known if you like it:
Canon - Powershot A1100 IS
sure is less expensive.
macro mode: 3-50cm (0.09-1.64ft)

But I' m sure there are a plently of compact camera canon useful for you.

Note:
Sincerely, despite the many feautures present on many new model, i think certain price have few sense.

However you could see even on used camera so you could buy nice model with better price.
alexfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:48 AM   #5

For a lot less $$ than the G10, you can also find strong macro ability in the Canon SX110 IS, Nikon S620, and Sony H20. Color quality is largely subjective, so some or all of these may be Ok in that regard. I would expect the G10 to have the edge in sharpness, depends on how far you really need to go with that.

cheap Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
For a lot less $$ than the G10, you can also find strong macro ability in the Canon SX110 IS, Nikon S620, and Sony H20. Color quality is largely subjective, so some or all of these may be Ok in that regard. I would expect the G10 to have the edge in sharpness, depends on how far you really need to go with that.

cheap Kelly
Thanks to all. I particularly want to refer to cheap Kelly's post, because the problem I had so far is with the color and sharpness. Color (true-to-life) happens to rank up there with sharpness for what I'm doing. So if there is a cheap(er?est) alternative, I'll go for it.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:02 AM   #7

Here are some sample macro shots from three Canons that are much less expensive than the G10. While the pictures may not have the quality of the G10, they are all very good.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=macr...shot_sd1200_is
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=macr...rshot_sx110_is
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=macr...rshot_a1000_is
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 1:17 AM   #8

Thanks for the pics, AndyfromVA! They all look so good! Still don't know which one to pick though.