Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:14 AM   #1

Default Canon SX200IS vs Panasonix Lumix DMC-TZ7

As many other people (but couldn't find a similar thread) I'm doubting between these two cameras.

First of all I always had a canon camera which I liked most of the times. Liked the colours of the camera and easy to use. Things I sometimes did not like where a weak flash, no zoom while filming, no 3:2

Last weekend my Canon Ixis950 died and now I'm in need of a new camera. My eye felt on these two cameras but I find it difficult to make a decision. Pro's of the panasonic are the dolby stereo recording, zooming while filming.
Con's are less manual settings

Pro for the canon is that I am already used to Canon camera's, and I already have a spare battery.

Are there more things I should take in considiration, or that will help me to make a decision?
How does the video quality compare?
What about making video's in a loud envirement like house parties (my previous canons did very well, despite of the hard sound on parties the sound stayed rather ok)

Last edited by Bart-1981; Aug 11, 2009 at 5:17 AM.
Bart-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:53 AM   #2

Bart-

Please just do a quick check of the professional reviews. The Canon SX-200 did not fare very well at all. The Panasonic ZS3/TZ-7 is great in an outdoor envirionment, but struggles indoors. The other possibility is the Fuji F-70 due out late this month. There are no professional reviews as yet, but it seems to offer som promising features.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Bart-

....The Panasonic ZS3/TZ-7 is great in an outdoor envirionment, but struggles indoors. The other possibility is the Fuji F-70 due out late this month. There are no professional reviews as yet, but it seems to offer som promising features.

Sarah Joyce
That's the problem. I'll also be using it indoors on parties etc.... So that's also a reason why I don't know if I should buy this camera or not.
I'll look for some information about the Fuji.....

Hmmmm no 16:9 filming, only 640x480

Last edited by Bart-1981; Aug 11, 2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:32 PM   #4

Bart-

I would think that the Sony H-10 or H-20 which do very well indoors as well as outdoors, might also be candidates meeting your requirements.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:08 PM   #5

Nice cam if it comes to the specs, but maybe just a little bit to big for being a compact camera...
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:32 AM   #6

The H10/H20 has a powerful flash but a not so wide lens. Starting at 37mm, they are not ideal for indoor photography, specially in confined spaces.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:51 AM   #7

Bought a TZ7
Nice cam, but it's hard for the cam to get a good focus in a dar environment.
I know there are some lights you can screw in on the bottom, which gives you extra light so the camera can focus better. Does anybody know what I know and where it can be bought?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:01 AM   #8

Bart-

Focusing in very low light level environments is usually a problem for small point and shoot cameras. The TZ-7/ZS3 has a focus assist lamp. Is the focus assist lamp turned on in the Menu? You might want to check that out.

Have a wonderful day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 22, 2009, 11:02 AM   #9

This is the kind of research one needs to do before buying a new camera. I've been reading again and again about the TZ7's poor low light focusing. So, if indoor photography is important to me (usually if you have young kids that will certainly be the case), then this is not the camera to get. As Sarah mentioned, the AF assist light will help but it may not. I have had cameras where I specifically turned off AF assist because it hurt more than helped.

Tullio
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:04 AM   #10

The one thing I don't like about the Canon SX200 is its flash operation. It pops up as you turn the camera on, whether you want to use it or not. It's the most retarded flash implementation I've ever seen...ever. Other than that, the Canon offers much more than the Pana in terms of settings and modes. I won't recommend any camera which offers AUTO mode only to any one. Even to those people who will probably stick to auto. The reason is, if the camera does not produce good images at all different conditions, the photographer is stuck.

Tullio