Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2009, 2:27 PM   #31

Default making a Super Zoom Decision

I appreciate Gerydee's input-

However, the key phrase is this: "...Its the performance of those features and the camera that make the difference...."

As you have probably have seen, I own a lot of super zoom cameras as well as DSLR cameras. Yes, the Canon SX-10 camera performs well. But, so do the Panasonic FZ-28, the Sony H-50, and other cameras perform well.

In my opinion the challenge is to get the camera that has the features and the performance that truly matches your expectations. A good way to determine that is to read the professional reviews. Be a very knowledgeable buyer.

I have attached a photo so that you can judge the performance of this camera.

Have a wonderful day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 3:20 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber
In my opinion the challenge is to get the camera that has the features and the performance that truly matches your expectations. A good way to determine that is to read the professional reviews. Be a very knowledgeable buyer.
Indeed; I've spent many hours already reading reviews and seeking firsthand advice from professionals.

Incidentally I was just reading that you chose the D5000 over the D90, which interested me. I had a good look at the D5000 and I may still opt for it, however there are certain features on the D90 that I find very enticing. It's just a shame that Nikon's price banding is truly awful, with astronomical jumps in price from one entry level camera to the next.

D60 is only 340
D5000 is 550
D90 is 800

I suppose that's what I should expect when buying a very capable camera.
Davi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 8:56 AM   #33

Good Morning, Davi-

Yes, indeed, those kinds of pricing categories are to be expected within DSLR camera. I am in a bit of a different situation, as I already own Nikon DSLR cameras, lenses, and the dedicated flashes. Therefore, I needed only to purchase the body only making the transaction much less in cost.

Have a wonderful day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 21, 2009, 3:40 PM   #34

I have just taken the plunge on the D90 and am extremely excited - I am collecting it tomorrow (all being well) and I'll promptly post my first ever pictures taken with a dSLR.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 4:14 PM   #35

Congratulations, Davi-

You have made an excellent selection. Enjoy your Nikon D-90 and please post some photos when you have a chance.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 21, 2009, 4:22 PM   #36

Davi,

How did we go from...”...I can't seem to decide whether or not the SX10 is worth all that extra money - it's 260 for the camera...” to...”I have just taken the plunge on the D90...” in only 9 days?

Anyway, congratulations on your choice - what lens(es) did you get? Post some pics.

The Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 4:37 PM   #37

Rinnie-

I just picked up a Nikon 18-105mm lens on E-Bogus, and its resolution has amazed me. i noticed the biggest change in image quality when I installed it on my Nikon D-40 camera. That camera really came to life.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 22, 2009, 4:33 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinniethehun
How did we go from...”...I can't seem to decide whether or not the SX10 is worth all that extra money - it's 260 for the camera...” to...”I have just taken the plunge on the D90...” in only 9 days?
I was dead set on getting a superzoom until I spoke to one of my friends who is a photographer and had a look at his Nikon D40. When first considering the superzoom I didn't really want to take photography seriously, but I've decided that now I do so a dSLR definitely fits the bill.

I got the 18-105mm kit lens and I'm hoping to complement it with the sigma 135-400mm APO lens when my birthday comes in three weeks.

Going to the capital city today (Edinburgh) to collect my camera so I should have some snaps online later tonight as it is a beautiful sunny day today, which is a bit of a miracle considering the weather the past few days.

Sarah - very glad to hear that lens being praised!
Old Aug 22, 2009, 11:34 AM   #39

Davi-

Yes, I really like the Nikon 18-105mm lens a lot. At least for me, it makes an excellent walk around lens. Enjoy your camera today. I am delighted to hear the sun is out and you are enjoying a beautiful day.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:19 AM   #40

OK, so the sunny weather wasn't to last, but I took a few extremely "average" snaps just to see what the camera could do in terms of sharpness, depth of field, colour reproduction, zoom etc

Just a wee edit: The camera is such a joy to use and so intuitive; all the buttons are placed perfectly and the command dials for thumb and index finger are a great idea, so much easier than constantly moving your thumb to the directional pad beside the screen, which is the case with many other cameras.

First shot taken at full zoom through my living room window, tripod used (you can see the dull and cloudy sky here )

100% crop of above image

Just a simple DOF test, table was about 1m behind my foot

A very plain and basic still life

I have a few pictures which are slightly more exciting but they were taken in Nikon's proprietary RAW format so I can't open them yet!

Last edited by Davi; Aug 23, 2009 at 3:23 AM.