Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:45 AM   #41

Here is a macro shot I took of a very small spider - fortunately he was hanging from the light shade so lighting wasn't a problem... however I had to take the shot hand held whilst standing on a chair so the focus isn't great

and a 100% crop of above image, not great focus

And this was me testing the low light/high ISO performance in manual mode (ISO 800)

Davi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 9:56 AM   #42

Good morning, Davi-

It is great to see you having fun with your new Nikon D-90. Enjoy, and thank you for posting some photos.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 9:18 AM   #43

Finally got some nice weather, so this time I tried to properly compose my images. I used auto mode pretty much the entire time and unfortunately some of the images are over exposed, but it's a steep learning curve and I'll get there eventually. These are my favourites.

Old Aug 24, 2009, 9:30 AM   #44

Davi-

Please remember that with a DSLR camera it is best to use the "P" or Programed Auto Mode. It works just like Full Auto but now you can make those small Exposure Compensation adjustments to prevent over exposure and clipped highlights. You wnt nice blue skies with clouds, not a blob of chalk white sky.

Have fun!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 9:50 AM   #45

Thanks Sarah, I'll remember that.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 9:52 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
now you can make those small Exposure Compensation adjustments to prevent over exposure and clipped highlights. You wnt nice blue skies with clouds, not a blob of chalk white sky.
Well, photography can also be a little more complicated than just using P mode. In some of the shots, everything is overexposed - in which case exposure compensation will certainly help.

But there are other situations where it won't help much with regards to the sky. The third shot is a good example of this. The street and buildings are exposed fairly correctly - depending on tastes the exposure could be changed. But the sky is blown out. The problem here is the scene has too much dynamic range for the camera. It isn't possible to get both the sky and buildings exposed properly without more advanced photographic techniques. The old style solution is to use a graduated neutral density filter (basically it makes part of the image darker while leaving the other part light - like putting sunglasses over half your eye). Newer digital techniques would be applying HDR software or blending multiple exposures.

Again, the point I'm making is - no matter what camera you buy, photography is NOT a point-and-shoot thing. There are lots of different issues and scenarios.

So, on shot 5, exposure compensation would have worked great. On shot 3 you'd need a more complicated adjustment.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 9:57 AM   #47

One other thing I forgot to mention - time of day can really be critical. If you're taking shots with the sun at it's highest point and the sky is washed out to your eyes, don't expect photos that include the sky to be good. Early morning or late afternoon are often better times for shots that include the sky. Although for many of these you really had a lovely blue sky to work with. That's a definite bonus.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote