Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:23 PM   #1

Default Canon SX10 worth the extra money?

Hi folks,

Been doing some homework and I can't seem to decide whether or not the SX10 is worth all that extra money - it's 260 for the camera, but I'll have to buy batteries, charger, case and card for it so I'm looking at 300 to get it fully operational. The Olympus SP-590UZ is only 235 including batteries, charger and case

Is the SX10 really worth that huge leap in price, in your humble opinions?

Thanks in advance.
Davi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2009, 2:12 PM   #2

I'm in the same boat...I've been torn between this Canon and the Sony h20.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 4:39 PM   #3

The H20 is arguably not a superzoom, since it has only 10x optical. I'd get the Canon since it is ultimately more versatile.

Perhaps when the time comes for me to buy the Canon (in about three weeks) it will be a bit cheaper.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davi View Post
Hi folks,

Been doing some homework and I can't seem to decide whether or not the SX10 is worth all that extra money - it's 260 for the camera, but I'll have to buy batteries, charger, case and card for it so I'm looking at 300 to get it fully operational. The Olympus SP-590UZ is only 235 including batteries, charger and case

Is the SX10 really worth that huge leap in price, in your humble opinions?

Thanks in advance.
What I believe you should consider most is which camera do you prefer in your hands. The feel and operation of a camera are of greater value than a few dollars at the time of purchase.
If you will keep a camera a few years longer because it meets all your needs, you are way ahead of the game.
The SX10 is coming down in price. It's listed as "discontinued" at Staples in Canada and was recently down to $399. CAN. That's when I purchased it and have no regrets.
I had a Canon S3 before and this camera is like an S3 on STEROIDS!
IMO, this camera is as close to a DSLR as you can get.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 7:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davi View Post
The H20 is arguably not a superzoom, since it has only 10x optical. I'd get the Canon since it is ultimately more versatile.

Perhaps when the time comes for me to buy the Canon (in about three weeks) it will be a bit cheaper.
More versatile in what way ?...The H20 has the same manual features as the Canon. I tested both of them, I haven't pulled the trigger becuase I may get a deal on a SLR. But if zoom is more important, then you should get the Canon. IQ the Sony takes it.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 4:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrydee View Post
What I believe you should consider most is which camera do you prefer in your hands. The feel and operation of a camera are of greater value than a few dollars at the time of purchase.
If you will keep a camera a few years longer because it meets all your needs, you are way ahead of the game.
The SX10 is coming down in price. It's listed as "discontinued" at Staples in Canada and was recently down to $399. CAN. That's when I purchased it and have no regrets.
I had a Canon S3 before and this camera is like an S3 on STEROIDS!
IMO, this camera is as close to a DSLR as you can get.
That's good to hear. I'm on holiday at the moment and am agonising to get some of these cameras into my hands for the first time; as you say, it'll be the feel and operation of the camera that determines which goes home with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_b
More versatile in what way ?...The H20 has the same manual features as the Canon. I tested both of them, I haven't pulled the trigger becuase I may get a deal on a SLR. But if zoom is more important, then you should get the Canon. IQ the Sony takes it.
More versatile because the lens has considerably better wideangle and telephoto capability. The selling point of superzooms is precisely that - versatility.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 5:17 PM   #7

you also might consider the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28K
Old Aug 14, 2009, 6:52 AM   #8

It's possible - I'll be holding some of these cameras tomorrow, all being well, and perhaps the Lumix will make an impression. I'm also very interested in the Nikon P90 thanks to the near 70-page thread on this forum, which is a real eye-opener.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:12 PM   #9

I thought going to a shop and playing about with some cameras would make my decision somewhat easier, but after playing with my three favourites I'm still undecided.

Olympus SP590UZ
Nikon Coolpix P90
Canon Powershot SX10 IS

I'm still swayed by the image quality of the Canon, but the other two cameras are both higher spec (technically) and considerably cheaper; all three cameras feel very, very nice and have different features that appeal to me; the Canon definitely looks the nicest.

Fortunately I don't have to decide for another three weeks.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 3:13 PM   #10

Just remember that features really don't mean much. Many cheap cameras offer numerous features to lure potential customers to buy their lower-priced cameras.
It's the performance of these features and the camera that make the difference. You can't beat quality.

Last edited by gerrydee; Aug 15, 2009 at 3:15 PM.
gerrydee is offline   Reply With Quote