Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:23 PM   #1

Default busy new arty mom needs help picking camera

Hi everyone,
I am an art teacher and a new mom. I have an Olympus 2020 that I have had since 2000 and have really liked it, but now that I have a new son I have found that it does not do as well for inside close ups. It is also a little heavy to carry everyplace with me (although I still do cause you got to take pictures). So I decided it is time to get a new camera. Last time I needed a camera I pored over reviews on this sight for hours but I no longer have the time to do that so please help me.

I am an artist and I use my photos as reference in my artwork (painting, pencil). Nature (mostly horses, dogs, landscapes, seascapes) I like a camera that could take a pictures of a horse running.

I am a teacher so I also take photos of students, candid and program shots for yearbook under florescent lights.

Most of all I take close up portraits of my baby. (Although people portraits are a new focus of mine)

So what I would like is a great all around camera that takes good landscapes, can capture movement (horses, kids) and take great close up people portraits inside (the lighting is horrible in our house) and outside. At this stage in my life (diaper bag, one arm holding a baby) I need something not too big, and if I had to compromise I could on the landscapes as my Olympus still does a very nice job on those, and still works great.

My budget is about 300 could go higher if need be but not too much.
Please give me some ideas and that way I could narrow my search and read just the cameras that may be good for me.

Thanks so much
Gerrie
Gerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:54 AM   #2

With so many requirements I think you will want the extra control that comes with a SLR-like ultrazoom. Which are not pocket size cameras, but there are some good ones to choose from right at $300. Here are links to more threads on these cameras -

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...-dmc-fz28.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...e-cameras.html

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 8:07 PM   #3

Default thanks for replying

Hi, I do not think I want to go with an SLR maybe down the road when my son is bigger. I guess if I had to nerrow it I would want a camera that took great portaits inside and out. With good color and detail. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 14, 2009, 9:21 PM   #4

I just bought the FZ28 about two months ago, I simply love this camera .

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...28-review.html
James G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:05 AM   #5

Gerrie-

The Canon G-10 is on Steve's list of best cameras and sort of seems to fit your requirements rather well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:37 AM   #6

Quote:
.. great portaits inside and out. With good color and detail.
Believe it or not, that is a tall order. As color qualities for inside shots can vary considerably, even with very expensive cameras. Plus, judging color quality is really a subjective game. That said, my picks would be Canon A2100 IS, Canon SX110 IS, Nikon L100, Panasonic FX48. Which are 4 very different cameras, as far as design goes. Ultimately your safest path would be to buy from an outfit that makes returns easy. As soon as you get a camera, immediately make your own indoor trial shots. Depends on how fussy you are, of course.

Kelly
Old Aug 15, 2009, 1:22 AM   #7

kelly-

The OP has another thread going where she redefines her priorities and now wants a $300-ish camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:54 PM   #8

Thank you everyone for trying to help me find a camera. Thank you Kelly for suggesting cameras all with in my stated price range although after reading some of the more pricer cameras reviews I may end up spending a bit more. James you got me thinking about the FZ28 Please if you can think of any other cameras that may be good for me let me know. I am not really interested in a SRL at this time just have my hand full with a 6 month old and I don't want to deal with lenses.

Thanks
Gerrie
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:58 PM   #9

The canon G- 10 is very nice but pricy for me but I may consider it if I could find a good deal!

Thanks Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 16, 2009, 2:04 AM   #10

See my first post on your thread. Those SLR-like ultrazooms that I suggested include the Panasonic FZ28. These do not have interchangeable lenses. The true SLR cameras, with interchangeable lenses, are way over $300. Sorry for the confusion.

Kelly