Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:34 AM   #11

Yes, the camera can take the photo in existing light, but you might not like the result very much. Flash is always an assured light source and very much worth the investment.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:50 AM   #12

I've never liked using flash because you never know what the image will look like until after you take it. I prefer available light photography because what you see in the viewfinder is what the resulting image will be.
Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:36 PM   #13

Tcav - very nice pics. To be clear - these are with a bounce flash? What kind?
johnandscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 1:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandscooter View Post
Tcav - very nice pics. To be clear - these are with a bounce flash? What kind?
To be clear, these are with available light (as in, no flash.)

These are EXACTLY what I saw in the viewfinder before I took the shot. That doesn't happen with flash.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 15, 2009 at 1:45 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 5:17 PM   #15

Tcav - That's what I thought! I just wanted to be clear. They look like natural light photos.

Results are in: I went to the photo store and played with the XSi with both the 13-55mm kit and the 50mm F1.8. I loved the 50mm F1.8 but I agree that I need the 13-55 mm lens to make the camera more usable. In other words I could see myself at a party trying to take a picture and constantly backing up to squeeze everyone in view! So I'll keep looking around a bit but I'll probably be ordering the 50mm F1.8 along with the kit!

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

One other question: The cheapest price I've found for this camera is $625 at Abes of Maine. Does anyone have anything favorable to say about this company? I mentioned to the guy in the photo store about internet prices being lower than his price of $679 - not to mention tax. The guy went off about imported cameras and Canon not holding to their warrenty when you buy online. I assume he's just scaring me into buying from him. Thoughts?

John
Old Aug 15, 2009, 5:17 PM   #16
elo

Quote:
But shouldn't the dSLRs be able to take a photo in low light without a flash? When I say low light I am meaning near a window or with indoor recess lights on. It's not dark by any means. My current camera can't cut it. I would assume that I should be able to take pictures indoors without a flash with the higher sensitivity of the dslr. Maybe I am wrong?

I'm trying to keep the cost down. I can swing the Canon Rebel and maybe the 50 mm lens f1.8 as an addition to the kit but if I go an add a flash now we are talking near $1000 and my wife already thinks I'm nuts for wanting to spend $750ish.

elo - something went wrong with your pictures - I can't see them.

If anyone else has any bounce flash photos to share, please do. I'm curious to see what it looks like - preferably with a 18-55mm lens or a 50 mm F1.8 style lense - nothing too fancy so I can see what I'm getting into.

Thanks so much.

John
John can you see the pics now?
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 5:25 PM   #17
elo

Quote:
Tcav - That's what I thought! I just wanted to be clear. They look like natural light photos.

Results are in: I went to the photo store and played with the XSi with both the 13-55mm kit and the 50mm F1.8. I loved the 50mm F1.8 but I agree that I need the 13-55 mm lens to make the camera more usable. In other words I could see myself at a party trying to take a picture and constantly backing up to squeeze everyone in view! So I'll keep looking around a bit but I'll probably be ordering the 50mm F1.8 along with the kit!

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

One other question: The cheapest price I've found for this camera is $625 at Abes of Maine. Does anyone have anything favorable to say about this company? I mentioned to the guy in the photo store about internet prices being lower than his price of $679 - not to mention tax. The guy went off about imported cameras and Canon not holding to their warrenty when you buy online. I assume he's just scaring me into buying from him. Thoughts?

John
I like amazon, but if you use bing cb you can get it under $600
Old Aug 15, 2009, 5:26 PM   #18
elo

even abes of Marine is on Bing CB (cash back) if you got to bing, select shoping the search for canon xsi 18-55mm

and you can see what vendors give bing CB
Old Aug 15, 2009, 7:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by elo View Post
John can you see the pics now?
no just little white boxes with red xs in them.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:38 PM   #20

TCav's shots show you the plus and minus of available light. A couple very nice shots and a shot (3 - also possible camera shake) with motion blur and a shot (5) with camera shake.
Here is what a bounce flash looks like:

Good luck getting this much DOF with available light and no window as well as stopping the movement of the child:

Again, subject moving - no windows:

Portrait-style

Want several people in sharp focus?

More subject movement - kids horse around they don't hold still for 1/15 exposures:

Available light has it's place:

But, I hate to look at my photos and see blurry subjects -from camera shake or motion blur. And I like the idea of not having to have sunlight through a window. I like having available light as an option - when there's enough light and the subject is still. But, I can't imagine how many moments I would have lost without a flash to bounce.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote