Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:34 PM   #21

Great shot, JohnG-
However, for what it might be worth, existing light is quite variable indeed. So shots ( as in those of John G a very experienced photographer) look great and others look like mud cakes.

The real issue is being able to realistically evaluate the light that is present in your phot environment, and folks that takes some experience.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandscooter View Post
One other question: The cheapest price I've found for this camera is $625 at Abes of Maine. Does anyone have anything favorable to say about this company? I mentioned to the guy in the photo store about internet prices being lower than his price of $679 - not to mention tax. The guy went off about imported cameras and Canon not holding to their warrenty when you buy online. I assume he's just scaring me into buying from him.
If you've been in and out of a local store, and been helped by their salesperson, you should show your appreciation by buying your camera there. They have been a reliable resource for you up to this point, there's no reason to expect that they won't be in the future, unless everybody that goes in there to try something out ends up buying it somewhere else and they go out of business. It seems to me that they've supported you so far, and I think it's time for you to support them.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:59 PM   #23

TCav, my good friend-

I happen to really disagree, in a big way, with your local camera store philosophy.

The teenie bobber camera salesmen who are more interested in their Saturday night date, are no more deserving of your patronage, than anyone else. You say the lens is the key! Well, my good friend, I believe that good, solid, valid, useable, helpful information is the KEY!

And I am really not getting that MUCH of the very needed information from my local camera store, that I need, at all. You really do not find very knowledgeable sales people in your local camera store anymore, TCav.. So, TCav, I really DO NOT feel that I owe them anything at all.

I wil always shop, research, and study on the internet. If ,like in the "old days" knowledgeable people come back into the local camera stores, then I will happily once again support them.

But quite frankly, TCav, I am very sick and tired of the teeenie bopper salesperson who is much more concerned about the commission he/or she will earn on my purchase and the date he or she has on Saturday night rather that filling my very REAL camera needs.

In my humble opinion, the local camera store is very, very quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 16, 2009 at 12:02 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 2:33 AM   #24
Super Moderator

I guess it depends a lot on the local camera store. I would hate to see some of my local stores disappear; they are staffed by very knowledgeable and professional staff, not clueless teenagers (or old codgers) on minimum wage. :-)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:24 AM   #25

If they helped, they deserve our support.

If all they did was pull a camera from a display case, then fine. Buy on the internet. If they weren't doing anything more extraordinary than holding the pickles and lettuce, then fine. Buy on the internet. If you're doing all your shopping in WallyWorld and Best Buy, then fine. Buy on the internet.

But if they went into the back to retrieve a lens we're interested in, if they answered questions correctly, if they expended any real effort at all, then they deserve our support. They at least deserve the same level of our support as they gave to us.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 16, 2009 at 7:41 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:32 AM   #26

I understand the idea of supporting your local store. Trust me - I drive 30 min to buy local steaks from my butcher. However, in the camera store - the guy was nice but to be honest all he did was hand me a demo camera and I took pictures of my wife whille he chatted with another customer. That's not worth the extra $100 or so I would save by getting it elsewhere.

That's just my opinion. If his prices were competitive I would certainly buy it from him.

Thanks for the bounce flash photos. They are very very nice. Since I have a pretty slow moving newborn I'll try out the camera with no external flash for a while then by next year or so I'll consider adding the bounce flash to help with the quick moving toddler indoors.

Thanks so much for everyones input. Hopefully I'll order the camera within the week.

John
johnandscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:40 AM   #27

I know you'll enjoy using whatever you get. Good luck.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:54 AM   #28

Quote:
But shouldn't the dSLRs be able to take a photo in low light without a flash? When I say low light I am meaning near a window or with indoor recess lights on. It's not dark by any means. My current camera can't cut it. I would assume that I should be able to take pictures indoors without a flash with the higher sensitivity of the dslr. Maybe I am wrong?
One drawback to the XSi is the limitation of the ISO at 1600. I bought an XSi last year an loved it. So much improvement over the P&S I have. However I found that it was frustrating to get the low light shots without flash such as in basketball and baseball games. I ended up getting a 50D this spring and am enjoying the higher ISO options.

For the flash shots the XSi should be fine but just wanted to share my experince of buying another camera less than a year later.

Also I don't think you would have to go all the way up to a 50D but you should at least consider the new T1i. It is basically the same size as the XSi but with higher ISO and added bonus of video (though not as good as a camcorder but handy and convient) if you handle to want to capture some video while snaping pictures. I am not sure how much more $$ the T1i would be but maybe you could look at it at the local store too.

Good luck with your purchase,
Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:05 AM   #29

Quote:
I understand the idea of supporting your local store. Trust me - I drive 30 min to buy local steaks from my butcher.
If I could find someone that knew how to cut meat, I'd drive that far and more. Where's your butcher?
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:46 PM   #30

Not too far from you - in Annapolis MD

http://www.mybutcherandmore.com/

The best steaks i've ever had. Here are some pics showing how great these steaks turn out - http://www.grilling24x7.com/Roseda_prime.shtml . Pardon the horrendous flash (hence the reason for this post!!!).
johnandscooter is offline   Reply With Quote