Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 14, 2009, 8:13 PM   #1

Default What is a great portrait camera for 300ish

Hi I posted earlier but it seemed I wanted too much. So I reprioritized and I decided what I want most is a camera that takes great portraits indoors and out. I want to spend around 300. Is there something that fits the bill?

Thanks for all your help

Gerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:10 AM   #2

Default Informal, indoor portraits

Gerrie-

Well, thanks for altered priorities. The Sony H-20 (currently on the Best Deals List) is half the price of the suggested Canon G-10 and it is a very capable camera indoors and out.

Please tell us a bit about your photography background and we can make more educated recommendations. But at the outset the H-20 with a slave flash used in the bounce mode is very capable of very good informal portraits. Most cameras in the $300-ish range do not far well with just existing light photo environments where the light levels are measurably at a low level. However, when the subject is posed adjacent to a northward facing window with reasonable light levels you can get good results.

Gerrie, does this photo come anyway toward matching your expectations for an informal indoor portrait?? This photo was taken with an Olympus E-510 using bounce flash. However, this type of photo could be reasonably duplicated (in terms of lighting) with a digicam as well.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 15, 2009 at 1:34 AM. Reason: To add a sample photo
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 6:29 PM   #3

My photography background I guess is more than a rank amateur, but nowhere on the level of most of you here. My father was a working photographer when I was a small child and I have always been a big fan of photos as an art form.

I am an art teacher and I took photography one in high school twice in collage because I really liked it. Of course that was long before digital cameras. And because of digital cameras I have forgot a lot of the details about SLR photography, or lets say they are filed away in my memory someplace. When I took the photo classes my interest was not studio type of photos but rather more just the way the world is. The composition and the catching of the image was more my focus, and to be honest a lot of times the composition of the whole photo might not be great, but I would crop and use what I liked in paintings.
This is one reason I so love digital cameras, because I can crop on the screen and fix compositions, not to mention using photo editing programs to play with the photos (I like doing this)

Now all that being said it would seem like the very best thing for me would be a Digital SRL, however I must be honest I like not having to think about what lens to use and do I need filters and all that, and having the camera focus is also cool. I am all about spontaneity when I am taking photos. I have less time to paint and now have come to like my photos as stand alone art and have them hanging here and there. And dont take it like I only think of photos as art I am just as sentamental as anyone i know and i have tons of photos, the majorty , becase they are snapshots of my world

Old Aug 15, 2009, 7:55 PM   #4

gerrie-

Thanks for the photo background. However, we are somewhat still in the dark. Portraits are a special interest, it seems. You mention indoor portraits, as well as outdoor portraits. With today' highly automatic digital cameras, the outdoor environment poses no real substantial problems.

The indoor portraits can be tricky due to the required lighting/flash techniques, as well as the use of high ISO settings, which can induce grain to your photo. We had no response to the sample photo, so I guess we did not hit the target there either.

The budget seemed to be $300-ish. But where do we go from here, Gerrie? I guess the next step is up to you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 15, 2009, 7:58 PM   #5

I have been reading reviews and looking around for prices. When I did a surch for panasonic lumix dmc fz28
Some of the hits I get have an added letter at the end of the name such as panasonic lumix dmc fz28S Or panasonic lumix dmc fz28K I read the discriptions and they seem the same. What do the added letters mean?, and what are your thoughs on this camera? I have seen some deals around for it that put it in my price range.

Thanks
Gerrie
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:27 PM   #6

Hi I am sorry I did not respond completely to your previous post. Yes the photo you posted is like I portrait I would take, I also take many portraits much closer up with the face almost completely filling the picture plane or with parts of the face out of the picture plane. I tried to upload a photo but I failed. So I hope my description is enough? I sincerely appreciate your help and I have been reading the reviews of cameras that are being suggested. I keep coming back to the Panasonic and the Canon I am sorry that my response did not clarify my wants. I think I do not know enough about digital cameras to ask the correct questions.

Thank you for your time and patents

Gerrie
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:28 PM   #7

I am sorry I sould of added the panasonic FZ28 and Canion SX10
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:32 PM   #8

As for me I bought the FZ28S , I'll step out on a limb here and say, that the letter on the end simply implies the color of the camera.
Mine being the FZ28s is silver and, I'm thinking the FZ28K is black.

Here is a link on the FZ28
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...-review-2.html

Me being all knew to photography I cant rightfully talk shop however, I can say I love this camera and, its simplicity of use. It just being a point and shot
camera coupled with its features is allowing me to experiment, thus learning and gaining the understanding of photography. Now when the day comes I spring for the DSLR I'll have a much better understanding of what I doing..

These are a couple of pictures I have taken with my FZ28
Attached Images

James G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:59 PM   #9

Nice photos, James-

The FZ-28 is virtually gone, so I have turned my focus to the FZ-35. Perhaps it will be measurably better.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 16, 2009, 6:21 AM   #10

Thanks ..

I noticed last night when I went on the hunt for the FZ28 that they are of rather short supply. It looks as if the FZ35 will start selling in the $400. range however I'm sure we'll
see that price fluctuate as they FZ28 did

James
James G is offline   Reply With Quote