Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 18, 2009, 5:26 PM   #21

John G.

Your photos are outstanding - a pleasure to view.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:41 AM   #22

at the end of the day...Canon XSi or Nikon D5000 ??
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
at the end of the day...Canon XSi or Nikon D5000 ??
For you or for the OP? If for the OP I would suggest that since we haven't heard from the OP siince August he's no longer interested in more information. If it's for you or for someone else I would suggest that there is no clear-cut winner between the two cameras so the answer would depend on a number of variables, not the least of which is - are EITHER of the two cameras a good fit for what that particular person wants/needs.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:36 PM   #24

JohnG is 100% correct on this one-

The camera usage is a key element in selecting the correct camera, particularly when specialized elements such as sports shooting is introduced into the selection process.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 8:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
For you or for the OP? If for the OP I would suggest that since we haven't heard from the OP siince August he's no longer interested in more information. If it's for you or for someone else I would suggest that there is no clear-cut winner between the two cameras so the answer would depend on a number of variables, not the least of which is - are EITHER of the two cameras a good fit for what that particular person wants/needs.

LOL....

Actually when i read this thread, I didn't think it was answered for the OP...thus I was asking for him. But I'm curious of the answers as well.

(I didn't notice when he last posted...)
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:06 PM   #26

littlejohn-

You now have me very confused. Where are you going with this thread? the Nikon D-5000 camera is surely not what you think it might be. If you want a very good Nikon DSLR camera, you must move upward to the Nikon D-90 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
LOL....

Actually when i read this thread, I didn't think it was answered for the OP...thus I was asking for him. But I'm curious of the answers as well.

(I didn't notice when he last posted...)

I am new here, but I read these posts with great interest because I have a similar need...perhaps I should start a new thread?
I had SOME sports photography experience many years ago, with an Olympus OM2N. I have only owned P&S digicams, and am looking to upgrade to a DSLR for 2 reasons: 1, I abhor the shutter lag on my P&S (which is not one of the better ones, I admit--currently I have the Nikon L14)--have missed soooo many shots because of it; and 2, my daughter just made the gymnastics team so I'd like to be able to take better photos during meets. This poses the extra challenge that they are held indoors. I don't expect professional quality photos, but I'd like something that isn't soooo grainy and blurry.
I am so confused by all the issues with digital cameras--the noise, moire, etc. I understand f stop and ISO, but it doesn't seem to directly transfer to the digital realm (because of the noise issue).
I am leaning towards the Canon XSi from all the reviews but I am not really clear how it will do under my stated circumstances. I know the lens makes a difference...I liked your description of the available lenses, John (and would go with the $600 one) except for the added concern of low light. Any thoughts on that?
TIA!
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:35 PM   #28

javacleve-

I sincerely believe that your best option is to await the very knowledgeable input from our sports photo expert, JohnG.

Sports photography is very much a niche specialty. JohnG, I am sure will ber able to help you out nicely.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:17 PM   #29

Thanks, Sarah...I also started a new thread and tried to read the loooong P&S thread that you were posting in.
Perhaps my best solution will be 2 different lenses--one bright telephoto with IS for sports, and another one equivalent to a 50 mm for everyday? But, again, perhaps my standards aren't quite as high as John's and I would be okay with a lesser system (just for recording my daughter's activities, not trying to be a pro here)?
How does the Sony A230 (if I recall that model # correctly) compare to the Canon Rebel XSi? I'm liking the idea of in-body IS...
javacleve is offline   Reply With Quote