Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 17, 2009, 2:56 PM   #1

Default Canon SX1 vs Canon XSi vs Nikon D5000

Hi,

I currently have a Canon SD800 IS, but I would like to get a camera that will give me a sharper clearer photo. I will use to camera to take pictures of my family, vacations, and my kids playing sports (mostly outdoors). I like the fact that the SX1 is more portable, and I don't have to change lenses. But I don't want to settle if I'm not going to get a better photo than what I have. Will I get what I want out of the SX1 or should I upgrade to a dSLR?

If I do decide to go the dSLR route, I'm stuck between the Canon XSi and the Nikon D5000. Mainly because I can get the D5000 for the same price as the XSi through work. Is there a big difference in these 2 cameras?

Thank you in advance for your help!
eccobleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:29 PM   #2

The Canon kit lenses are better than the Nikon kit lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:49 PM   #3

I also wanted to chime in on the stated need to shoot sports. Is this one of your primary uses? Here's why it's important. There is a huge gap between the capability of a DSLR solution to shoot sports and a superzoom. Some of today's superzooms can do a decent job of capturing snapshots of sports but not a great job. DSLRs can do a much better job - better focus systems (faster and more accurate), higher frame rates etc. BUT, it can get costly. You're not going to shoot sports with a kit lens. Also, your ability to get decent sports photos is impacted by how close you are to the action. The best DSLRs out there, with pro grade lenses are going to take poor shots of HS varsity football from the stands.

I would have to know more details about the sports in question (what level of play, what time of day - i.e. daytime soccer vs. nighttime under lights, U4 vs. full field, etc) to be able to make some recommendations on what lenses would be appropriate. And I'd still have to know where you'd be shooting from. Shootig HS baseball from on the field is different than shooting from behind the fence.

I will also add that getting quality sports photos even with the best of equipment is a learning curve. It is NOT a point and shoot type of thing. So even with a DSLR and appropriate lens and field access, you'll still get some poor shots if you don't want to invest time learning how to shoot sports. And that's ok - not everyone wants to. But that might be an indication that a superzoom would be more appropriate.

So, let me know the specifics of the sports you want to shoot (sport, age, time of day, your access to the field) and your expectations and I can throw out some recommendations so you have a more realistic idea of the prices involved if you go a DSLR route.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:52 PM   #4

eccobleu-

For me, portability has also become an important priority. I own a DSLR, but I want to go lighter and with more freedom from a bulky, heavy camera kit.

www.amazon.com today (08/17/09) dropped the price on the Canon SX-10 to $306.34, so I ordered. If you go for a DSLR, your costs will escalate well above the price of the Canon SX-10. Just go to www.pbase.com and you can see samples of the SX-10 photos. They are impressive.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 4:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Canon kit lenses are better than the Nikon kit lenses.
But Nikon using photographers are much nicer people.

Why just limit yourself to Canon and Nikon SLRs? Pentax, Sony and Olympus are often highly recommended.

Matt
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 4:41 PM   #6
elo

Dslr are great but need allot of upgrades if you really want see them shin. Am saving up for a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L which is around $550 - $600. That will be my first lens since getting the camera a couple of weeks ago. The first thing I got was a flash (Metz 48 af-1 $225).
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 4:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
But Nikon using photographers are much nicer people.
The funniest part of this is - Tcav doesn't use EITHER

p.s. this is not meant as a knock on TCAV. Just pointing out that it isn't a brand X user bashing brand Y.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 5:12 PM   #8

Oops. I'm a fully-fledged-very-biased-noobie-Nikon user.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause offense.

Matt

P.S. I'm a Mac user as well
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 5:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
The funniest part of this is - Tcav doesn't use EITHER

p.s. this is not meant as a knock on TCAV. Just pointing out that it isn't a brand X user bashing brand Y.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 5:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
So, let me know the specifics of the sports you want to shoot (sport, age, time of day, your access to the field) and your expectations and I can throw out some recommendations so you have a more realistic idea of the prices involved if you go a DSLR route.
He's only 7 - the next sports up are U8 soccer and flag football. Games are outside and around 10AM - 3PM. We sit right on the side line, so we're pretty close. I would like something with a faster shutter speed and with a sharper image (more definition?) than what I have now. I hope I'm saying that right.

Thanks!
eccobleu is offline   Reply With Quote