Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:37 PM   #1

Default Super Zoom?

Canon SX10 vs Panasonic Z28 vx Kodak Z980. Looking for an advanced point and shoot. Not quite ready to make the jump to DSLR. Any suggestions? Seems like there are +/- for each one.
hilreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:46 PM   #2

hilread-

With www.amazon.com's price drop on the Canon SX-10 this morning (08/17/09) to $306.34. That's about a $50 savings, over what the SX-10 has been selling for in the last two weeks. I would say that the Canon is the clear choice

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 4:37 PM   #3

Hold them in your hands, use them. Go through the menus. Don't decide without fondling !!!

I know it sounds foolish, but I know of someone who ordered a Canon 50D without realizing what a large object it is in his (relatively) small hands.

Matt
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:25 PM   #4

You make a good point, Matt-

However, with Amazon's no questions asked 30 day return policy with no restocking charges, the OP is still very safe.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:53 PM   #5

Ah, forgot about that.

Matt
Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:53 PM   #6

I was choosing between this very same bunch of cameras, and ended up with the FZ28, despite it being considerably ($50+ - now almost $100) more expensive than the other two. In the end, it really came down to feel, as mattyb pointed out earlier.

No matter how much I wanted to like the SX10IS, it just never felt right in my hands. I can't say exactly what it was, but it just didn't feel comfortable to me, no matter how I held it. So unfortunately, despite it's notable significant advantages (hot shoe, awesome viewfinder, swivel LCD), it was a non-starter for me. It was some consolation that it's freakishly heavy for a P&S camera compared to the FZ28 and Z980 - important to me as I always take my camera hiking.

I really did like the Z980. It felt great in my hands, in spite of and probably largely because of it's huge physical size compared to most superzoom models. I loved the dedicated buttons on the top for the flash, macro, and timer, and the zoom rocker on the back, rather than the far more common zoom ring around the shutter. I also loved that it has a hot shoe for external flash. However, I could not get over the very poor viewfinder with no diopter adjustment. Wearing eyeglasses as I do, it renders the Z980 EVF essentially unusable, even more so because it has no eye-cup. Kodak really dropped the ball on that one. I also didn't like that the pop-up flash was automatic, rather than manually popped up. This means you have to actually disable it with the flash button if you don't want it to fire, unlike the FZ28 and SX10IS (and most other superzooms). I thought the power switch of the Z980 felt flimsy, but maybe it's not an issue in practice. Also, and I realize this isn't completely Kodak's fault, I wasn't able to find it in stock anywhere that had it fully operational. Everywhere I found it, either the power wasn't connected, or wasn't working properly, so I could only test for a few seconds. And, you can't properly hold a camera with the big anti-theft device and bungee cord secured to it. The Z980 around here was only available at the big-box stores, not real camera stores with proper salespeople.

So why did I pay full MSRP for the FZ28? For me, it just had the best combination of performance, features, and fit. The viewfinder, though no SX10IS EVF, and still small, is bright, usable, and has diopter adjustment. The flash is manually popped up. The body is very compact, but still manages to feel great in my hands, while being mcuh lighter than the SX10IS. I like that the lens only extends about 1/2 as far as the Z980's lens does. The FZ28 is also far better at continuous shooting than the Z980 (and most other superzooms, for that matter). It will take shots continuously as long as you have memory, whereas the Z980 is capped at six frames, then a lengthy wait to flush the buffer. This isn't a huge concern, but why limit yourself unnecessarily? And the clincher, it was in stock at a real local camera store - not Best Buy or Walmart or Staples. I could actually hold it and play around with it for as long as I liked! Imagine that...

I think any of the above are capable of taking great pictures, so back to what mattyb said, go for the one which feels best to you!

Cheers!

Last edited by aaroncgi; Aug 17, 2009 at 7:07 PM.
aaroncgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 6:59 PM   #7

Congrats. Now you need to show some photos !!!

Matt
Old Aug 17, 2009, 7:05 PM   #8

Default Panasonic Fz-28 Photo Samples

Panasonic FZ-28 photo samples, sure I have some-

These were all taken in existing light at ISO 800 and I think they look pretty good.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 17, 2009, 7:07 PM   #9

Default FZ-28 photo Samples

Here is another FZ-28 photo sample at ISO 800.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:59 PM   #10

WOW..
Awesome pics Sarah Joyce
James G is offline   Reply With Quote