Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 17, 2009, 4:04 PM   #1

Default Upgrading from Canon Digital Rebel/300D

I purchased this camera in June 2004. Purchased with the kit lens, I have made no further purchases related to this camera, i.e., no flash or other lenses.

The combination of advances in camera technology and an upcoming Alaska cruise with a side trip to Denali motivated me to explore possible upgrades.

This camera will primarily be used for informal family photography (including sports activities of grandchildren in the future?), some travel, and trips to the zoo (wildlife?) and the like. I guess I am aspiring to be an amateur (or a hobbyist/enthusiast in Canon parlance). From reading other threads, the choices appear to be a Canon T1I or 50D. (Yes, I understand this may well be overkill, especially the 50D, but I am willing to overbuy some. It is quite possibly my last "major camera" purchase.) Though I have not invested in additional gear for my current camera, I have always owned Canon cameras (going back to a Pellix), so I have a preference to stay with them.

First question: Are there any reasons that I might prefer the 50D over the T1i? The fps is faster, but is there anything else of note? Is the weight likely to be an issue?

Second question: What are the lens options to consider? Is a "walk-around" lens practical? If so, which one? Or am I better off getting, for example, a pair like the 17-85 mm and 75-250 mm and foregoing the 18-55mm kit lens? Are there other "pairs" to consider, perhaps up to the 70-300 mm as one of the pair? I have in mind IS lenses for all of the above.

Third question: I anticipate adding the 430EX II flash, perhaps eventually rather than soon. Any comments there?

Fourth question: Are there other considerations I have not considered? A reasonably "compact" camera bag to lug through airports, for example?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

JB
JohnBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2009, 4:16 PM   #2

Grab hold of a 50D. I held one a few months ago and it really is a step up from the 350D/1000D/450D sized canons. It felt too heavy to me as well. Saying that, it does have a very 'solid' aspect to it.
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 4:29 PM   #3
Super Moderator

As a Canon owner if you are looking at 50D I can strongly recommend the Nikon D90... yes crazy I know as you have no investment in lenses/flash etc the Nikon is a better unit. Nothing wrong with the 50D or the T1i but the D90 is better.

I have a T1i as one of my dSLR options and although being a little small for my taste it is a nice little camera. The 50D is a great unit with similar photo capabilities to the T1i but better AF, much better handling in my opinion and easier control of settings. Obviously the 50D doesn't have video the T1i and D90 do. Don't go for the D5000 though as lens options are more limited (if you do add more lenses at some point but I know you haven't changed your lens with the current camera).
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 4:30 PM   #4
Super Moderator

With flash Nikon also has a better, more accurate flash system, not that I'm bitter LOL.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 5:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
As a Canon owner if you are looking at 50D I can strongly recommend the Nikon D90... yes crazy I know as you have no investment in lenses/flash etc the Nikon is a better unit. Nothing wrong with the 50D or the T1i but the D90 is better.
In what way? And what about the lens question with regard to the D90? You are correct in that with no large investment in Canon at this level of technology, changing brands is a clear option. It is just that I do not have the "warm fuzzies" with Nikon that I have developed over the years with Canon.

JB
JohnBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 7:15 PM   #6
Super Moderator

The Nikon 18-105 is a great lens option from Nikon. As for how it is better than the 50D it has better high ISO handling better AF, a better dynamic range and includes video as a bonus.

Lenses for Canon, the 17-55mm f2.8 is the best of the bunch but very expensive. The kit lens is actually pretty good now. You can also look at the Tamron 17-55mm f2.8, very nice lens but doesn't have IS.

If you are going for a long zoom the 70-300 IS USM is the best of the Canon bunch without going to L glass. Don't mistake that with the cheap 75-300 which is not a strong performer.

I personally prefer the handling of Canon but currently in the middle and top range Nikon is the leader. I have a large investment in Canon kit so not looking at changing.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:15 PM   #7

I think all Mark's points are valid ones. I'm not as sure I'd go as far as he did though: on the 50D vs D90. I don't think I've seen anything that shows the D90 has better AF (the D300 does but that's a different model and the d90 doesn't have the same focus system as the D300). But it does have video if that's important. And the Nikon flash system is indeed better.

The challenge with Nikon IMO is the cost of lenses vs. Canon. Both have very nice kit lenses. And both have top notch pro glass. It's the 'in between' where I think you get a better value with Canon glass vs. Nikon. For example - Canon's 70-300 IS USM Mark mentioned. It's distinctly better than the nikon counterpart. And at the same price point is Canon's pro grade 70-200 f4 which has no counterpart in nikon (both lenses in the 500-600 price range).

So if you were a sports or wildlife enthusiast I would say the D300 is a great choice. But I'm not sure I'd say the D90 is a clear winner over the Canon 50D.

Looking at Nikon is certainly worth while. I would suggest going to a store and holding both cameras an working thru the different adjustments. Often people prefer the ergonomics of one system over another.

If you still decide Canon, I'd suggest getting the kit lens. It's fairly inexpensive and of good quality. I was never that impressed with the 17-85 - I think it's overpriced for what it gives you. Others must agree to some point as Canon no longer uses it as a kit lens. In fact they replaced it on xxD kits with the older 28-135 lens. Optically the 2 lenses are similar - the 17-85 was designed to be the digital equivelant of the 28-135. But I think some people prefer a lens designed for full frame in case they move up to a 5d or to a 1dmkIII on which the 17-85 would not work.

As far as a telephoto lens - that depends entirely on your specific needs. You mentioned sports. What sports will you be shooting? At what age group? And what access do you have? For example, shooting 7 year old flag football where parents sit along the sidelines is different than shooting HS Varsity football when you have to sit or stand behind the fence.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote