Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 19, 2009, 5:58 PM   #21

Tullio-

I think that the Canon S-90 is also intended to compete with the Sony WX-1 as well. It is sort of a contest between Canons use of the reduced mp imager on the S-90 tweaked to high ISO settings versus the Sony WX-1 camera which uses their CMOS imager with excellent high ISO photos at up to 2500 ISO.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:05 PM   #22

Hi all,
First let me say I am following all these superzoom threads because I still have not decided on a camera myself. I keep flip flopping. Between Canon models and The Panasonic, Of course I could not find the Panasonic lz28 any place so I thought I wait until the new one is in the stores, and I decided to up my budget a little.

Sara I have enjoyed looking at the pictures from different cameras thanks for posting them and thank you for taking the time to answer often the same question by so many different people. Sometimes I donít get what you saying but overall you are very helpful, to all us amateurs looking for our next camera.

Joe I love you photos of your horses because I love good looking colored apps. Lovely bunch of spots. My old app passed away last year at 31 so hopefully your herd will give as many photo ops as mine old guy did.

And thank you James for being a nice guy, and offering what you know. Because of you (and arroncgi) and photos posted by you and Sara I am leaning toward the Panasonic We will see what next month holds.
Gerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:14 PM   #23

Gerrie-

Please hang in there! As a real super zoom person, you will find more and more information right here in this thread.

If you have been interested in the Panasoniic ZS1/ZS3 cameras, please be advised that they, unfortunately, do not have the depth and the adjustments necessarysuch/like the FZ-28/35/38 do.

We will be constantly be updating this thread to give you the latest data on the super zoom cameras that are available in the market place.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 20, 2009, 8:02 AM   #24

Being an old Fla boy, I appreciate the fog picture and the other one as well. I think from a real estate standpoint I need to consider inside shots in low light. Part of the problem with my old S30 is not enough of a wide angle to show a room and of course some people like their homes dark.

That was one more reason I was drawn to the HX1. Besides a the normal wide angle I thought I might be able to do something unique with the Pano. I realize I could stitch but it's just one more step. Having the camera do it would work well.

Thanks Gerrie for the App comments. We are down to nine. We finally figured out how its happens. My wife used to feel sorry for the old stud every year or so and put him with the mares. Then of course there is the auction just for fun...until you rescue another one. Here is a couple more App shots. Not particularly great photos, just Appy fun.

As for my decision I am still torn so am waiting. The SX20 or SX10 still doesn't have the burst I would like. The HX1 seems to have some
neat bells and whistles but ....not sure I will always get that good picture.
SX1 is still a consideration but...seems to be in the same boat as the Sony. Ideally I would like to see the Sony compete on image quality and do something about the write delay. Or the Cannon's increase the fps.

In the end it may come down to costs. If the SX10 drops significantly I might have to compromise. Wish the HX1 was older so there would be an updated one on the horizon. The new ones Sarah has mentioned don't have the zoom I would like.

ARG. Sometimes being a Libra causes decision paralysis !
Attached Images

Joe Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:15 AM   #25

Joe-

Just a thought, but, perhaps what you want to do well might take two cameras. Interior real estate shots have some very different requirements than long zoom AP shots of your horses. Could you achieve the proper lighting needed for interior wide angle shots of homes and then with the very same equipment really handle the long zoom shots you need? I am beginning to think that maybe one camera cannot handle all of the tasks you envision for it.

I loved the horse photos and I can easily see your dedication to the horses.

Have a wonderful day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:30 AM   #26

Sarah,
Yes you are right of course but to be honest I probably do more with the horses than real estate to the detriment on my wallet. I figure what ever I eventually get will be better than what I have now and the competition for quality real estate photos is non existent in my market (rural vs high dollar homes)

I think the long zoom and capturing the horses in motion is probably more important to me. I have even seen some agents take home shots with a camera phone. Beyond me why a seller wouldn't question or even look at the pictures. The other ones I really hate are acreage and the person didn't even get out of the car. You can see the mirror or edge of the car in the picture because they were to lazy to get out, just unforgivable to me.

Iam still in the Canon & Sony camp and think I'll give it some time to see what develops. The last time many years ago I couldn't decide between the Canon S-30 and the Cybershot. I ended up with the Canon and bought the Cybershot for my wife. We never use the Cybershot. I can't really remember the reasons now other than the Canon just seemed easier to use menu and feel wise.

I find myself a little surprised that I have this fondness for the HX1 after seeing one in person. It seemed to me to have very simple and informative menus and I liked the larger display vs the Canon. But in the back of my head I keep thinking the last time I bought a Sony I was disappointed. Now..........it's at least ten years later.

I have to admit that Iam a P&S guy and have never used the capabilities of even the S30. I just took it out of the box and it took great photos to me and I figured I had enough hobbies. If it had a long zoom and fast fps I probably would still be happy. Time to move on though...would be nice to let the camera worry about who is smiling and how shaky I may be.

Last edited by Joe Sellers; Aug 20, 2009 at 10:32 AM.
Joe Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote