Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:36 PM   #11

Yes, Rinnie, I do have hands on experience with the Fuji A-100 camera-

We purchased it to use in our Community College course. Yes, it is cheap. Yes, it is an alternative. But in all honesty, Rinnie, it is not a very good alternative, when you place it up against cameras like the Canon A-590.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:44 PM   #12

Yes Sarah, and I'm sure it would pale in comparison to any DSLR - however, the DSLR as well as the A590, is way over the OP's budget. So, within the $100 or less camera market, which should the OP seriously consider? Let's forget the A590.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:03 PM   #13

Rinnie-

In days gone by when our Sony H-2 failed we purchased a Fuji A-100 camera. I am indeed sorry to say, that as much as I like Fuji, it was a wimp of a camera. I won't say exactly "pure junk" but it was indeed very close to that. It was Fuji's cheapest camera, need I say more?

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:40 AM   #14

Quote:
... what exactly does battery type have to do with color quality - I don't understand?
No direct relationship. It was my observation of the field of cameras as they exist. I am more impressed with the color from the Canon AA cameras than the BrandX AA cameras. Other observers are free to disagree. Sorry I was not clear.

Quote:
Do AA cameras have different sensors and processors than those with proprietary batteries
My guess would be "yes", but I do not have specific data on that. In any event both types are built to price, at this level. So expectations for both types have to be tempered.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:51 AM   #15

A590IS is a good choice if you can find one. Canon's eStore had an inventory sale on them back in June. Not sure if any are left now.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 2:52 AM   #16

Thanks for all the help so far, I should of noted I did hold and use a friends barely used Canon A470. I was pretty disappointed over all, here's my thoughts.

- Startup: Amazingly fast, touch the button it's just about ready to shoot.

- Photo Quality: Overall the photos are pretty sharp, but the colors just do not appear right to me, I'll have to go through and see if I still have any of the shots. I tried the full dummy mode and a few of the scene modes.

I had an old 2MP Nikon Coolpix that was in the same price class (back in early 2003) and the shots from that camera had much better color and sharpness. I'm not sure if this was just a bum A470 or just not one of Canons better cameras. I know it's a beginner camera, and targeted at the 119 - 130 price bracket, it's just I've just seen better photos from comparable cameras and or cheaper. Thoughts?

Also what about the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8K a litle over a 100 at Amazon

Last edited by comfortablynumb; Aug 20, 2009 at 4:22 AM. Reason: Added Question regarding Panasonic DMC-Lz8k
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:25 AM   #17

The LZ8K is an excellent choice, numb - didn't know there were any still around. I would say...a winner.

the Hun
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:23 AM   #18

Rinnie is very correct-

If you can find one, the Panasonic LZ-8 or even the LZ-10 is a very good starter camera. Just like the Canon A-590 the problem might be in finding one.

Have a wonderful day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:08 PM   #19

I also looked at a Nikon L19/L20 in a store today, some of the photos and reviews of it online seem decent. In hand it felt pretty flimsy, nothing at all like the Coolpix 2100 I owned years ago. I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere so I don't have any decent electronic stores to check out other models.

After that experience I'm now wondering if I should just wait a while longer and save up for something in a different price class.

Last edited by comfortablynumb; Aug 20, 2009 at 6:41 PM.
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:41 PM   #20

The 2100 was a considerably larger and heavier camera than the L20. Personally, I wouldn't own any of the compact cameras - they're just too small for me. I have big hands, and these cameras are like holding a postage stamp. You're the one that set the size and price restrictions on your camera - so you can always change. By the way, the LZ8 you mentioned was the overall winner in a budget camera group test...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408...oup/page15.asp

Good luck.

the Hun