Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:00 PM   #1

Default Looking for a cheap carry round Fuju A100 any good, any other suggestions?

I'm looking for a cheap (IE $100 or under) camera, well I would prefer some manual settings, as I would consider myself an advanced amateur photographer (I mainly shoot film SLR's and classic range finder cameras.) I just can't afford such nice luxuries. It's just mainly to tote around with me, and catch shots I always miss not having a camera with me.

What I'm looking for:
- AA batteries - I really do not want anything with a proprietary battery
- Quick Power up- I haven't looked at digital cameras in quit a while, seemed anything affordable was really slow from start up to ready in the past.
- SD Card Format

Right now I been looking at the Fuji Finepix A100, but I haven't seen any reviews on it. Anyone have any opinions on that? Or would I be better off saving up for a Canon?

Thanks in advance
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:12 PM   #2

Beat the bushes for a leftover Canon A590 IS. The only choice that tics all of your boxes. Works well too.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 5:38 PM   #3

kelly, is very correct-

In that price range, the best low priced, AA powered, with auto and manual setting is the Canon A-590.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 6:22 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestion the 590 is indeed a nice camera, just kind of over budget and hard to find. I've seen a few refurb's (which I would prefer to avoid)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 6:53 PM   #5

Take a look at the Panasonic DMC-LS85. It has a few features which make it unique in an entry level camera, such as a 4x zoom, IS, 4.5 fps burst mode (at reduced resolution), 3 aspect ratios, and WVGA movie mode. Right around your price max, too...$105 at Amazon, including shipping.
No reviews that I could find, but cameras in this price range rarely get reviewed these days.

Good luck with your search.

The Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 7:10 PM   #6

For inexpensive AA cameras, Canon rules. The nice thing about the A590 is the manual controls. Otherwise, get whichever AA Canon fits your budget. Generally speaking, the color quality of the AA jobs from other brands do not quite measure up to Canon. Now a dedicated ion battery camera would be a whole other conversation.

Kelly
Old Aug 19, 2009, 7:16 PM   #7

kelly-

You have to admit that the Canon A-480 is still a possible choice. Personally, I would steer clear of the Fuji A-100 camera.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 19, 2009 at 9:57 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:53 PM   #8

??? Which is why I posted "get whichever AA Canon fits your budget". That would include the A480 ???
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:17 PM   #9

ecoled-

Please give me a break! You have just posted "pure junk" to this thread. Please get lost! Right now!

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:27 PM   #10

"For inexpensive AA cameras, Canon rules." "Generally speaking, the color quality of the AA jobs from other brands do not quite measure up to Canon. Now a dedicated ion battery camera would be a whole other conversation."

Kelly, what exactly does battery type have to do with color quality - I don't understand? Do AA cameras have different sensors and processors than those with proprietary batteries?

"Personally, I would steer clear of the Fuji A-100 camera."

Sarah, why is that - have you used it and found it to be inferior? In what way(s)?

By the way, the spammer has been reported.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote