Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:38 AM   #1

Default Canon Powershot advice?

Hey all....completely new here but I thought I would give it a try.

I currently own a Canon Powershot A95 (5mp, 3x Optical Zoom) and I am in the market for something a bit better. I am getting tired of seeing family and friends with nicer, clearer pictures but I am uncertain what to look for.

I obviously dont want to lose any options that I currently have....and I dont think I really will but I thought I would ask about the Canon A1100 IS.

Are there any key differences that I will like or hate if I went with this compared to what I am using? Or are there any recommendations that you can give me for an upgrade that wont break the bank. Or would you recommend something else?

Thanks!

Last edited by Ricbr; Aug 20, 2009 at 10:41 AM.
Ricbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:07 PM   #2

Ricbr-

A lot of camera selection has to do with budget. The Canon A-1100 is a good but basic camera. It gives you the improvements that have occurred in the last 3 to 5 years in cameras, but it does not cut new ground.

Tell us what kind of photos you like to take and what budget you have allocated for this camera purchase. Thanks.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:12 PM   #3

I am hoping to stay under 200...but would go up just a bit more if it is worth it.

The shots I enjoy taking are basically shots with my kids/family. One of the very useful settings that I use now is the fast shutter with the A95 (The little running man)....is this even an option anymore?

But for the most part it will be used to capture the family inside and outside of the home, Vacation shots in Disney world (Daytime and night time)...so something not so bulky would be nice

It wont be used as much used for video at this time. But I do take quick shots with my current one (30 second bursts)
Ricbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 1:04 PM   #4

Ricbr-

The A-1100 has received good reviews and is capable of good indoor and outdoor photos. It should meet your needs nicely

Have a wonderful day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 11:11 AM   #5

Even though there are dozen of camera models going for less than $200, I doubt they fulfill your needs. Some will perform better than your current camera but overall, you will not be that happy. Raise your budget by $100 and you'll find yourself with a list of real good P&S that will not disappoint you.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote