Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 21, 2009, 7:19 PM   #1

Default A Revolution in Compact P &S Digital Cameras

Have you noticed what has been happening lately, like in the last two months in the Compact Point & Shoot Digital Camera Market Niche!

After going for more than a few years (please read 3 to 5 years!) the digital camera manufacturers seemingly only fixated on adding more pixels to the already crowded digital camera imagers, which just produce more electronic noise in the camera's images. We have seen a real sea change in the last 30 days! Wow! I cannot believe it. Digital camera manufacturers finally are really listening.

By the time the Christmas 2009 Shopping Season rolls around, we will, quite disbelievingly, have 3 digital camera maufacturers: Sony, Fuji, and Canon who have rolled out new offerings for the Christmas 2009 market based on ideas submitted by concerned consumers.

Look at the choice being offered: Sony is touting the new CMOS imager based WX-1 camera that is both high ISO capable, and also offers some amazing features like a simple hand sweep panorama system that is just short of amazing, the Twilight Mode where 6 different digital photos are merged into a single high image quality photo, as well a unique and exclusive Anti-Blur Mode. Fuji is touting both the high ISO capable F-200 EXR camera as well as the F-70, with a 10X optical zoom, high ISO capable camera that also offers the advantages of the Fuji EXR format.

Finally you have Canon who is offering a reduced megapixel G-11 camera camera that is especially tweaked to the needs of high ISO shooters, and the S-90 camera. The S series cameras have been gone for 3-4 years from the digital camera market. Now suddenly, Canon, gets religion, and offers a small compact point & shoot camera that will compete with the likes of the Panasonic LX-3, the Fuji F-200/F-70 cameras, and the Sony WX-1 cameras. Wow!

Isn't this a sudden and amazing change. No, it surely tells you instead, that disposable income, at least in the USA, has declined measurably. Canon wants to retain their market share of the their very traditional compact point & shoot camera market.

This is really good news! Finally the camera manufacturers are listening closely to the compact point & shooters. That, folks, is history making.

Clearly the most innovative compact point & shoot digital camera out there, focused on the huge 2009 Christmas Market is the Sony WX-1 camera. Sony has produced a compact point & shoot digital camera that might indeed take a lion's share of the 2009 Christmas Market with its amazing features, never before seen in this market.

What, you might ask is Canon doing with their CMOS imager based camera, the Canon SX-1??

Well, at this point in the year, we have seen imager megapixel reductions from Canon, but not much else. There apparently will be no successor camera to the much less than successful, Canon SX-1 super zoom camera.

Perhaps the Canon SX-1 camera is something of a wounded and almost dead elephant kind of camera, that Canon hopes will just go away and be forgotten by digital camera users around the world.

But, thank Goodness, the digital camera manufacturers have finally demonstrated a willingness to hear the serious qualms that consumers have about compact digital point & shoot cameras, and the big camera manufacturers have finally made a some very significant changes that will most probably be cheered by digital camera users around the world.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 21, 2009 at 7:31 PM. Reason: To get Better Understanding
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2009, 9:16 PM   #2

All good news. But I'm not jumping for joy until optical viewfinders come back too ...

retro Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 9:35 PM   #3

Thank you Sarah I know that since I started in more recently I have never seen so many different models , sold by every body. Apparently the innovation was not there as well. But I did buy my wife a cannon compact 3 years ago and was amazed then and i still am every time I use it
zilbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 9:54 PM   #4

Bob-

The major camera manufacturers have done well over the last 1-4 years. But in the last 40 to 60 days they have caught fire. Amazing things are happening.

Just you watch the amazing 2009 Christmas Market for Compact Point & Shoot Cameras. It is really going to be something!

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 22, 2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 2:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
All good news. But I'm not jumping for joy until optical viewfinders come back too ...

retro Kelly
I'd love to see that as well. Unfortunately, I won't keep my hopes up. Most manufacturers are investing on high quality LCDs so I doubt they will reduce the LCD size and incorporate an EVF (forget about the OVF tunnel...they are useless).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 2:37 AM   #6

For a while, the focus was on the SLR market. However, as Sarah rightly pointed out, people are just not willing to spend that kind of money. I also believe that many new SLR users have realized that carrying a backpack full of photographic equipment is not that great and swapping lenses in harsh conditions is far from fun. I've been shooting with my FZ28 exclusively and I'm so happy with the outcome that I am seriously considering selling my Sony Alpha gear.

Tullio
Old Aug 22, 2009, 8:21 AM   #7

So I should wait a little while to get a new camera along with a search for my new camera I was thinking my husband needed a new point and shoot as well. Something he can take on four wheeling trips. When are these new cameras actually in the stores?
Gerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 9:10 AM   #8

In most cases these improvements are for low light photography. Which I would not expect to be needed much while 4-wheeling. The more general purpose cameras are also improving, but that improvement is continuous (with lots of stumbles), not as major as what Sarah is talking about, and frequent. So I wouldn't fall into the trap of never buying, always waiting for the next minor improvement.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 9:55 AM   #9

Kelly is right. There will always be something new coming up each year. The trick is to pick the model that really offers revolutionary features. They will last longer. For instance, Sony once produced the V-series cameras (V3 was the last of the series, released 5+ years ago). They incorporated so many revolutionary features at the time that people still want to buy them today (used on eBay, of course). Between then and now, Sony has released hundreds of models but they were short-lasting because all they had to offer were minor upgrades from the previous and even those upgrades some times turned out to be more of downgrades (i.e. cramping megapixels without increasing the sensor size). It appears that some of the new models from Sony and Canon are indeed revolutionary. The question is, are they as good as their specs? We should have that answer to that in the next couple of months.

Tullio
Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:58 AM   #10

Gerrie-

The new small compact digital cameras I am referring to will come on to dealer's shelves in September and October, poised for the 2009 Christmas Market.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Sarah Joyce