Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:45 PM   #1

Default $750 for Camera body + Lens

Hey guys, so I need some advice.

I have $750 to spend on a DSLR system, but I'm not sure which one to get, and how much I should be spending on the lens.

BTW, I'm not, nor am I trying, to be a professional photographer. I just like taking good photos . As for the direction I'd like to be going for the system, I generally like taking action shots, and also low light scenes.

I'm assuming that I don't want to get a kit with the standard lens, so how much of my $750 should I be spending on a lens, and should I be going with a brand new one or used?

So what are your guys' opinions on how I should go about creating a good lens/body combo?

Thanks!
GoinSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:23 PM   #2

GoingSideways-

Can we assume that you do not now have DSLR camera nor any DSLR lenses?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:50 PM   #3

Ya. I don't have anything right now.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 2:46 AM   #4

The new Canon T1i is receiving lots of great reviews. Sony has new models (A230, A330, A380), which are smaller and lighter than the previous models and come with a redesigned kit lens. Olympus offers the E620 and now the m4/3 super compact EP1. Nikon has the D90 and D5000, Panasonic's G1/GH1 are a different breed of cameras. They are mirrorless (and so is the EP1), uses the m4/3 sensor, it's very small and comes with an excellent kit lens. Pentax has the K2000 (they might even have something newer). All of these cameras are priced similarly and they're all very capable instruments. One thing that differentiates one from another is the lens line up. You will have more lens choices going with the Canon, Sony, Nikon or Pentax than the other brands.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 6:46 AM   #5

What types of "action shots" and what types of "low light" shots. Be specific. If "action" is a sport - what sport and at what level? If it's kids playing - inside or out and at what distances.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:06 AM   #6

For low light photography, I'd place the Canon T1i at the top of the list since it probably has the best high ISO performance, which is pretty much what you want (unless, of course, you are a big flash user, which I'm not). As for speed, the new Sony models outshines the competition IMO (but not by much). They have a very fast AF system.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 3:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
What types of "action shots" and what types of "low light" shots. Be specific. If "action" is a sport - what sport and at what level? If it's kids playing - inside or out and at what distances.
When I say action shots, i mean like dirt bikes mostly. Not motocross, just like in the woods, or at a local unlit track.

And for low light, I mean dusk, or rooms that aren't well lit, and also some time lapse stuff.

Its hard for me to be very specific because I haven't dont a ton of photography, so its hard to say exactly what I do most often.

So what do you think would be better: spend the all my money on a better camera now and stay with the kit lens it comes with, and then wait until I can get a better lens? Or should I be getting a better lens now?
Old Aug 22, 2009, 4:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinSideways View Post
So what do you think would be better: spend the all my money on a better camera now and stay with the kit lens it comes with, and then wait until I can get a better lens? Or should I be getting a better lens now?
The kit lens and body combination will get you started. It will also help determine what type of lens would appeal to you most for your next selection. Trying to determine what quality of lens along with the type might be somewhat of a guess at the present time. Using the kit lens will point out to you what you are really interested in.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 4:38 PM   #9

GoinSideways-

To meet your low light level requirement, it might be prudent to purchase the Canon 50mm F 1.8 lens which is quite inexpensive.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 5:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinSideways View Post
When I say action shots, i mean like dirt bikes mostly. Not motocross, just like in the woods, or at a local unlit track.
For "in the woods" I'd say something like Tamron's 55-200 Di II LD; for "at a local unlit track" I'd say something like the Tamron 70-300 Di LD. Canon happens to have an inexpensive 55-250 that may do double duty, and it's stabilized.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote