Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 23, 2009, 7:45 AM   #1

Default 400gbp budget, looking for a compact with the best possible 720p movies

Hi,

I've been searching and searching, going through samples on vimeo, reading reviews, etc, but I'm still struggling to find a camera ... maybe the pros here can help

In a nutshell I'm looking for something that's relatively compact (but doesn't have to be miniature, I'm willing to carry something as big as a micro four third). I'm not obsessed with megapixels, but more with quality, so a good sensor is paramount. And thirdly it has to take nice 720p videos. I'd rather have a good 720p output than grainy 1080i.

The problem I have is that so far is the video output between 200 pounds and 400 pounds cameras doesn't varies dramatically - for example I struggle to see the difference between the video of a powershot SX1 IS vs powershot SX200 IS. In fact because of the higher bitrate, the cheapest camera (the sx200) has in my eyes a better output.

Any advice or pointer would be much appreciated!
cigaro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2009, 8:07 AM   #2

The Panasonic TZ7/ZS3 is supposed to have excellent video and good stereo sound. It's also very good in taking still photos as well.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:53 AM   #3

Default Panasonic ZS3/TZ7

Andy-

You are correct. The Panasonic ZS3/TZ7 does HD video clips with average sound and good image quality outside in natural light, it struggles a lot indoors, and there have been more complaints about indoor photos than outdoor photos due to the very small flash and that flash's minimal range. I know, as I own the ZS1

Take a look at the attached photo and you can see how small that flash really is.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:07 PM   #4

I see.... so it sounds like this ZS3/TZ7 is decent but is having problems in dark settings... since my budget is 400 gbp ($650) maybe there is a better model out there without these limitations?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:28 PM   #5

cigaro-

I actually like the video from my Sony H-20 camera a lot better that what the ZS3/TZ-7 can do. And I am fairly sure that the HD video on the Sony WX-1 coming out in September here in the USA will being even better.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 24, 2009, 4:05 PM   #6

Hi Sarah - do you know if the special sensor on the upcoming WX-1 will help with video recording or is that handled by a special component?
Old Aug 24, 2009, 4:17 PM   #7

Cigaro-

There is not enough technical data out yet regarding the Sony WX-1 video clips . However, with its dramatic low light level shooting photo capability, I would surmise the the video clips will also be improved or enhanced.

The bottom line however, is that we really won't know much more until we read the first professional reviews of the WX-1 camera.

Sarah Joyce