Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 24, 2009, 1:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
The Olympus SP590UZ would be an excellent choice. It not only has a nice wide-angle end but has a Super Macro function that is unbelievable. At to that the 26x zoom for those bird/squirrel/bear shots. It's pretty versatile.
It does look nice, but the one thing I noticed which I hate is that it runs on AA batteries, not rechargeable ones.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 1:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
It does look nice, but the one thing I noticed which I hate is that it runs on AA batteries, not rechargeable ones.
Uh... get rechargeable AA's! Using AA batteries is a PLUS. They are readily available should you need them and they are cheap. Not so with proprietary LiON batteries.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 3:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Uh... get rechargeable AA's! Using AA batteries is a PLUS. They are readily available should you need them and they are cheap. Not so with proprietary LiON batteries.
Ya but I prefer the LiON batteries. They seem to last longer. Also in my old camera, I had rechargeable batteries and they lasted long at first, but after 10 charges or so they died very fast.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 3:43 PM   #14

Default Sony H-20 Photo Samples

adam-

Well, the Olympus SP-590 is a good candidate, as Gary mentioned. However, after reviewing your photos which are excellent, not a super amount of zoom was utilized in these posted photos.

Therefore, you might want to save a few $$$, and give some consideration to a camera such as the Sony H-20 which had HD video clips and it is rated as one of the most user friendly cameras in the super zoom category. The H-20 is running around $(US) 240.00 right new which is $(US) 80.00 less than the SP-590. That would give you some extra $$$ for a camera bag, the needed cards and the like. The H-20 could easily handle travel and landscape photography if the lack of a true wide angle position is not a detriment to you.

The nice thing about the H-20 is its super Image Stabilization, its sharpness, and its excellent flash range. I have attached a H-20 flash photo of myself for your reference. How simple is the H-20, I just handed the H-20 to my husband and asked him to please take a photo of me.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 3:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
adam-

Well, the Olympus SP-590 is a good candidate, as Gary mentioned. However, after reviewing your photos which are excellent, not a super amount of zoom was utilized in these posted photos.

Therefore, you might want to save a few $$$, and give some consideration to a camera such as the Sony H-20 which had HD video clips and it is rated as one of the most user friendly cameras in the super zoom category. The H-20 is running around $(US) 240.00 right new which is $(US) 80.00 less than the SP-590. That would give you some extra $$$ for a camera bag, the needed cards and the like. The H-20 could easily handle travel and landscape photography if the lack of a true wide angle position is not a detriment to you.

The nice thing about the H-20 is its super Image Stabilization, its sharpness, and its excellent flash range. I have attached a H-20 flash photo of myself for your reference. How simple is the H-20, I just handed the H-20 to my husband and asked him to please take a photo of me.

Sarah Joyce
Ok, Thanks for the advice. Or maybe I should just stay with my Sony W-290. I just don't know!
Old Aug 24, 2009, 4:21 PM   #16

adam-

You might also want to take a look at the Sony H-50 super zoom which does feature a tilt-able LCD screen as well as 15X optical zoom and a nice 28mm wide position on the lens.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 24, 2009, 4:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
adam-

You might also want to take a look at the Sony H-50 super zoom which does feature a tilt-able LCD screen as well as 15X optical zoom and a nice 28mm wide position on the lens.

Sarah Joyce
That looks like a great camera! Any idea why Sony discontinued it?

Also, how are Sonys A330 DSLR Cameras? It is a tad bit expensive, but if its a great camera it may be worth it.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 4:53 PM   #18

adam-

The Sony H-50 was discontinued to make room for the new CMOS imager super zoom, the HX-1. The Sony A-230 DSLR has received some excellent reviews. It surely is worth exploring.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 24, 2009, 5:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
I don't want quite a DSLR yet, they're still to expensive.

So basically I want a High-Zoom Camera in the $300-$500 range.
Not all DSLRs are expensive and you can find DSLRs with kit lens for less than $500 (even less than $400 if you buy used ones from eBay). What you probably won't get for $500 is a DSLR with the reach of a super zoom but for $551 (on Amazon), you can get the excellent Olympus E520 with two lens kit, which will give you up to 300mm reach. Of course this is just an example. There are many other options to choose from.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 6:19 PM   #20

adam,

Seriously consider the Fuji S100fs...it has many features which the other super-zoom cameras do not have - such as a 2/3" sensor, manual zoom ring, and a manual focus ring. Here is a link to a thread in the Fuji forum:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fu...n-burst-3.html

Good luck with your search.
the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote