Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 24, 2009, 6:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinniethehun View Post
adam,

Seriously consider the Fuji S100fs...it has many features which the other super-zoom cameras do not have - such as a 2/3" sensor, manual zoom ring, and a manual focus ring. Here is a link to a thread in the Fuji forum:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fu...n-burst-3.html

Good luck with your search.
the Hun
O My. That camera appears to have everything I want. Thanks.

Do you yourself have it, or know how it does on Macro or low lighting conditions?

edit: Ugh, a little expensive, but it looks so perfect!

Last edited by adamvk; Aug 24, 2009 at 6:31 PM.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 7:44 PM   #22

I do not have the S100fs. I have the S6000, which has some similar features, such as the manual zoom and focus rings, and is very good in available light settings. The S100fs has more MP's, more dynamic range, and a much larger sensor. Here is a link to some pictures taken with the S100fs...some macro, some low light...etc.

http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_5.htm

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinniethehun View Post
I do not have the S100fs. I have the S6000, which has some similar features, such as the manual zoom and focus rings, and is very good in available light settings. The S100fs has more MP's, more dynamic range, and a much larger sensor. Here is a link to some pictures taken with the S100fs...some macro, some low light...etc.

http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_5.htm

the Hun
Thanks for the link.

However I decided that I'm not sure I want to spend $500 on that camera that came out almost 1.5 years ago.

With that said, I am now heavily leaning towards the Nikon P90. Anyone have thoughts/comments on it?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 6:33 AM   #24

Keep in mind that the P90 has a relatively short battery life (230 shots claimed by Nikon). The Panasonic FZ35/FZ38 has a battery life of 350 shots.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 8:17 AM   #25

Default The Nikon P-90 Camera

adam-

The Nikon P-90 is a very capable, though a somewhat limited camera, due, its shorter than normal battery life and it tendency to show measurable noise in its images above a setting of ISO 400. There is a long thread devoted to the Nikon P-90 in the Nikon Point and Shoot folder. It is very informational.

Here is a sample photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
adam-

The Nikon P-90 is a very capable, though a somewhat limited camera, due, its shorter than normal battery life and it tendency to show measurable noise in its images above a setting of ISO 400. There is a long thread devoted to the Nikon P-90 in the Nikon Point and Shoot folder. It is very informational.

Here is a sample photo.

Sarah Joyce
As usual, Thank you.

Now, going back a few steps, How is the Sony HX-1? Does it have good image quality?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:39 AM   #27

Default Sony HX-1 photo Sample

adam-

In my opinion the Sony HX-1 represents emerging technology. It is a rather picky camera to shoot with, although it does have an amazing variety of unusual features such a hand sweep panoramas, its Twilight Mode, and its Anti Blur Mode.

I did not keep the HX-1, I returned the camera. Here is a photo sample from my HX-1 testing. I still prefer the Sony H-50 super zoom.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
However I decided that I'm not sure I want to spend $500 on that camera that came out almost 1.5 years ago.
Just because the camera is 1.5 years old it does not mean that it's not worth buying it. In this particular case, I'm not familiar with Fuji cameras so I can't say YES, it's worth the money. But, I have a Sony R1, which is a similar breed of camera. It's over 5 years old but its features are at least on par with the very new models. It's a 10.2 MP camera (most cameras these days are 10 MP) with a large CMOS sensor (almost as big as DSLR sensors), an awesome 5x zoom Zeiss lens (yes, it's a bit short but the image quality is so great that one can crop the heck out of the image w/o loosing resolution), high ISO capability, excellent focusing system, top mounted swivel LCD (not available on any other camera I know of), an exclusive Zebra pattern for excessive highlight detection (live, before shooting), and the list goes on and on. Yes, it's bulky and heavy but in terms of IQ, it's unbeatable. I will never sell/trade this camera, ever.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
Thanks for the link.

With that said, I am now heavily leaning towards the Nikon P90. Anyone have thoughts/comments on it?
The Fuji s100fs is a great camera, and the fact that it is 1,5 years old must be considered irrilevant. In fact it is the last genuine bridge which appeared on the market (the s200EXR is just a s100fs with the sensor of the f200EXR).
The 2/3 sensor is the largest of all the cameras in its category (still produced). This guarantees an image quality which can be compared to the one of a dsrl up to 800iso. And in fact on dpreview.com it is the only superzoom which is compared to a dsrl (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms100fs/).
It is I think the only non dsrl which allows to shoot raw at the same speed as in jpg (you need a fast memory card). One of the few on which you can mount an external flash.
I use it only in full manual, in the same way I used once my old Yashica FX3, and the image quality completely satisfies me. Of course many dsrl offer more speed, more image quality, more features and so on. But if you want to get a camera which offers you complete control, image quality and speed comparable with that of a dsrl, a zoom range from 28 to 400mm, and all these things at a compact price, it is, I think, the only choice.
The pictures on this page http://www.rossodisera.biz/Public/Foto/Foto6.aspx since one year were all made with that camera. Take a look!
e.engelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 6:52 PM   #30

e,

I'm sure adam appreciates your input, however he purchased a Sony Alpha over two months ago.

Nice pics, though...

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote