Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:45 PM   #1

Default Which High-Zoom Camera should I get?

Basically I want to get into photography more. People have been telling me I take amazing shots, and that is with a P&S Sony W290.

Now I want an upgrade.

I don't want quite a DSLR yet, they're still to expensive.

So basically I want a High-Zoom Camera in the $300-$500 range.

Any Recommendations? I was looking at the Sony HX-1, but I'm not sure if thats a good camera or not. I saw some not good reviews on it.

I was also looking at the Nikon P90, how is that one?

Thanks a lot!
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2009, 2:07 AM   #2

I also wanted to buy a superzoom but I have money available so I just took the plunge on a DSLR.

The best Superzoom is probably the Canon SX10, but they all have their pros and cons. Take yourself down to a shop and hold the cameras; whichever feels the best in your hands is the one you should buy, because at the end of the day there isn't a huge amount between them in terms of image quality.
Davi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 9:08 AM   #3

What types of photos do you want to take? A superzoom isn't necessarily the right camera. It' not necessarily the 'closest to DSLR'.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 9:15 AM   #4

i used to have a Fujifilm FinePix S9000 Zoom, its a very good camera, has a 28-300mm zoom a tilt screen lots of modes and is an ideal step up from a compact.
theres a review here http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...om-review.html
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 9:19 AM   #5

Take a look at the new Panasonic fz35 that's comming out (out in Europe as the FZ38)
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 9:57 AM   #6

I sold a Nikon P-90 in favor of an Olympus SP590UZ. As has been previously stated, go to a reputable camera dealer (NOT WALMART!) and get the feel of them. Ask questions. Look at the menu system. Run the zoom in & out to check for smooth operation and "funny noises". Take test shots in good light and low light then look at the photo.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:12 AM   #7

Good Morning to all-

Right up front, it is important to say that it is not a one size fits all situation. A good deal depends on the type of photography that you are doing most. If you daughter is a budding ballerina, and that is your primary focus, that will change or re-direct your camera selection.

The same is true if your sons are doing high school sports and that has it own requirements. Your number one focus is to step back an do an in-depth analysis of what type of photography is your highest priority.

You can see that if travel photos, landscapes, and family photos (under normal lighting conditions) are your priority, then camera selection is again different.

So take a very good and thorough look at the toughest photo requirements that you will put on your new camera as your biggest and primary priority. Let's chat about some tough photo requirements.

(1) On stage photos in school plays, or musical recitals

(2) Indoor sports such as basketball, gymnastics, judo, and wrestling

(3) Distant bird and Animal shots made under low light level shooting conditions

(4) Flash photos done where you have to stop action or take your photo from a long distance

(5) Travel, pet and family photography

These are some rather general categories that each have rather specialized camera requirements. So, step one sit down and seriously define your top priority and the exact kind of photos that you want to take. We are happy to discuss your photo needs and probably the best camera to handle your needs.

So as we begin this thread, please remember this is like fitting shoes, not a one size fits all situation. It the shoes (or in this case, your camera) is not a good fit for your particular photo priority, you won't be a happy camera user, and you will not get the photos that you have in mind.

We are coming up on School beginning again, or the Fall Semester. This might be an ideal time to check out what courses your own Community College, or University is offering. When you learn the photo craft, you take better photos.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 24, 2009 at 10:16 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:14 AM   #8

Adam-

The Sony HX-1 camera has received mixed reviews. The HX-1 is the first generation of some very exciting technical advances, but in turn those advances have made shoot reall excellent photos with the HX-1 camera a bit more complex.

Since Sony appears to be your chosen brand, I would, first of all, really spend some serious time defining and describing in detail the exact kind of photo that is your #1 priority. The Sony H-50 is stil available and a very good super zoom camera, and the Sony H-20, while having less optical zoom, does have HD video clips and it has been rated as a very user friendly camera.

So please stay with this thread and begin by defining and describing your #1 photo priority. Also consider how much zoom you really, and realistically need? Sometimes, when selecting a camera folks can be easily swayed by high zoom numbers.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:47 PM   #9

Thank you, and sorry for not being clearer earlier. Basically 80% of my pictures are of natures shots, so thats where my priority lies. I also do a lot of close ups, so I want a good macro.

Heres a few recent pictures from my trip to Tennessee.

Last edited by adamvk; Aug 24, 2009 at 3:52 PM.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:53 PM   #10

The Olympus SP590UZ would be an excellent choice. It not only has a nice wide-angle end but has a Super Macro function that is unbelievable. At to that the 26x zoom for those bird/squirrel/bear shots. It's pretty versatile.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote