Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 25, 2009, 8:25 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Stan C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Morganville, N.J.
Posts: 138
Default

The Panasonic FZ 35 is now available from B&H Photo...$399.
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:03 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Thanks, Stan, that is great news-

However, the OP is a dedicated Canon person.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:19 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
tclune-

What you say is true. However, what do you do when you favorite brand's camera that you are considering, is not quite up to the performance level of the competition??

That is the case in this situation IMO. However, I have repeatedly told the OP that the choice is hers. What do you find wrong with that??

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
I quoted what I objected to, and that was the dismissal of the OP's commitment to Canon. I would readily agree that there may be enough of a difference between two possibilities to believe that the built-in preference is worth overcoming. But it is not appropriate to dismiss it, which is what I read Tullio to be doing in his post.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:25 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

tclune-
I will respect your opinion, as well as the opinion of the OP, of course. However, I believe that we should, within the process of these threads, offer possible alternative choices when they are available. And that is what I did. It was not until very late in the thread that the OP declared her Canon preference.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 8:58 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
tclune-
It was not until very late in the thread that the OP declared her Canon preference.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
I actually declared this in my very first post but it's neither here nor there, I guess.

My "loyalty" to Canon is being taken out of context a bit. My first digital camera was a Kodak Easyshare and I hated everything about it. I have enjoyed my Canon since I got it so that's why I kind of want to stay with Canon. To say I am loyal to Canon would be a bit of a stretch. I'm used to Canon and I liked the one Canon camera that I had however I am definitly open to other brands. You guys all seem to have so much camera knowledge which is why I figured I would ask your opinion.

Regarding the H50--nice camera but I keep coming back to the Kodak Z1012. Sarah, after seeing what is most important to me is there a reason why the Z1012 is not a good fit? I have seen some of the pictures that you have posted with it and they look great. Makes me question whether I should give Kodak another chance?

Also--I seen in another thread an awesome panoramic picture of the inside of a stadium. Anybody remember that picture? I thought it was taken with the Z1012 but I can't seem to find the thread again.

The H50 is a bit on the pricey side--between 4 and 5 hundred from what I have seen. I may have to go without a camera for a bit until I save up some extra money.

Like I said before all of the manual settings are not that important. I'd most likely use the auto feature more than 50% of the time. I would like to play around with panoramics and such but this is not anywhere near the top of my list.

Thanks everybody for their continued help. Sarah you are a valuable member on this board. I see you help just about anybody who asks for it. It's great knowing that.
momof3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:37 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Good Morning, momof3girls-

Firstly, many thanks for delivering us from the perils of the Canon loyalty puzzle. That really does help a lot, and I really detest being accused of mistreating any poster here in the Forum.

With that out of the way, let's go straight to the issue. The Kodak Z-1012 is a fine point and shoot camera. I actually own two of them. However, the Kodak Z-1012 does not have a real wide angle lens position that would allow it to take a photo of an entire stadium in a single photo. I also like panoramas, and they are best when they are produced from multiple photos, taken at the same time.

The Sony H-50 is running at about $(US) 380.00 right now, while you can still find the Kodak Z-1012 at $(US) 260.00 at some internet retailers. On E-Bay I have seen the Z-1012 going for around $(US) 200.00 to 220.00. So that tells us the kind of budget we have to work with, and please correct me, momof3girls, if I am incorrect.

How about your camera's physical size? Is that an important factor? The Sony H-20, the camera rated as most user friendly camera, and that HD video clips is smaller than the Kodak Z-1012 and it has a great flash range, even better than the Z-1012. But on the H-20 you have to frame your photos on the 3.0" LCD screen, and there is no EVF like the Z-1012 has. And, the H-20 has a tiny bit less zoom than the Z-1012.

IMO those two are probably the cameras that come the closest to what I understand as your requirements. So please let us know what you think and we can move forward in the camera selection process from there.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Aug 26, 2009 at 11:39 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:27 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Tullio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
I quoted what I objected to, and that was the dismissal of the OP's commitment to Canon. I would readily agree that there may be enough of a difference between two possibilities to believe that the built-in preference is worth overcoming. But it is not appropriate to dismiss it, which is what I read Tullio to be doing in his post.
Dismiss? I never suggested that. My comments were based on momof3girls's statement that she would feel guilty looking at any brand other than Canon. The word "guilty" made it appear that she would like to check out other brands but due to her brand loyalty, she could not do that. This is much different than if she had said "I don't want to consider other brands because my experience with Canon over the years has been the best!". Had she said that, my comments would have been a total different one. With that said, I've had many different camera brands and I do believe that no particular brand produces the same quality products at all times. It does not matter whether it's Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Sony, etc., they all produce good and not so good products. Take Sony, for instance. I bought their very first long zoom (12x) camera, the H1. It was an excellent camera. Then they released the H2, which was even better (the best of the series IMO). Then the H5 (highly rated). Then the H9...ooops all of a sudden things went south. IQ was not as good and many people were very disappointed. Next came the H50, which fixed many issues the H9 had. To me, menu design is something you get familiar with. Sure some are more intuitive than others but in the end, once you become familiar with it, it should not be a problem. To me, digital photography is all about image quality. If a camera is capable of producing great quality pictures, who cares about the menu navigation? Some people buy cameras based on appearance (body design, color). I don't subscribe to that. Size, yes. Anyway, all I was trying to say is that no one should feel "guilty" about searching for the best product. Even if one's experience with a particular brand is outstanding, still looking at what's out there won't hurt any.
__________________

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Aug 26, 2009 at 12:29 PM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:25 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Good Morning, momof3girls-

Firstly, many thanks for delivering us from the perils of the Canon loyalty puzzle. That really does help a lot, and I really detest being accused of mistreating any poster here in the Forum.

With that out of the way, let's go straight to the issue. The Kodak Z-1012 is a fine point and shoot camera. I actually own two of them. However, the Kodak Z-1012 does not have a real wide angle lens position that would allow it to take a photo of an entire stadium in a single photo. I also like panoramas, and they are best when they are produced from multiple photos, taken at the same time.

The Sony H-50 is running at about $(US) 380.00 right now, while you can still find the Kodak Z-1012 at $(US) 260.00 at some internet retailers. On E-Bay I have seen the Z-1012 going for around $(US) 200.00 to 220.00. So that tells us the kind of budget we have to work with, and please correct me, momof3girls, if I am incorrect.

How about your camera's physical size? Is that an important factor? The Sony H-20, the camera rated as most user friendly camera, and that HD video clips is smaller than the Kodak Z-1012 and it has a great flash range, even better than the Z-1012. But on the H-20 you have to frame your photos on the 3.0" LCD screen, and there is no EVF like the Z-1012 has. And, the H-20 has a tiny bit less zoom than the Z-1012.

IMO those two are probably the cameras that come the closest to what I understand as your requirements. So please let us know what you think and we can move forward in the camera selection process from there.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Dead on with the budget. I'm willing to go up to 250 if necessary. I'm trying really hard to stay well under 300.

As far as the EVF--I don't care about it. Maybe I'm showing my age or my inexperience in photography but it feels weird to hold the camera up to my eye. I'm utterly lost without the LCD. My sister (who is a photographer) wants to slap me when I say things like that.

I don't care much about the size either. I'd like to be able to take a picture with one hand if I need to (I do have three kids. One of my hands seems to always be in use) I love the grip on my Canon. I definitely want to have something similar to that.

How about other brands--Fuji, Olympus, etc? The Sony is going to be out of my reach for right now.
momof3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:48 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Hi again, momof3girls-

Well then, the Kodak Z-1012 gets my highest recommendation. Fuji comparable cameras are more expensive, and competing Olympus does not get good reviews.

I checked E-Bay this afternoon and there are 16 Z-1012's available there including new ones with a full 1 year guarantee.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:05 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Well then, the Kodak Z-1012 gets my highest recommendation.
OK then...thanks for helping me choose my new camera...looks like it's the Z1012 for me. Thanks so much for all of your help.

Chris
momof3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:39 AM.