Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:22 AM   #1

Default Camera for RC use

I posted this elsewhere but received no replies, so perhaps the gang here at Steve's has some input:

Question ... other than the rugged-ish and approximately 2-ounce 1.3mp "FlyCamOne2" or the marginally similarly featured 1-ounce "Etech Rotate FlyCam 2.0", does anyone know of any small(ish) high image quality digital cameras capable of being set for continuous photo taking (say once every 5 seconds) or being set to do video, for remote control helicopter hobby use?

Inexpensive is the keyword here due to potential R/C vehicle crashes. Light weight is also key.

I just started using the FlyCamOne2 and it does a so-so (poor to my photographic eye) job at a current delivered cost of about $75 (the Rotate FlyCam is similarly priced when delivered). Both also have servo-rotatable heads.

Photos and video are marginally adequate but really are not that good, nowhere near the resolution one would get if a heavier point and shoot digital were mounted to the skids but I do not fly the large pro R/C choppers (extreme cost is the factor here ... I'd rather pay the food bill and purchase the occasional lens!) and both weight and an even more expensive crash-loss are considerations.

Obviously, using a designated photo platform like a "Bergen R/C Helicopter" would solve the problem since you can mount large cameras on it ... but not the financial and extreme skill required problems!

Dream on, Henry ....
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2009, 7:52 AM   #2

What about these guys?

http://www.goprocamera.com/
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:05 AM   #3

Thank you. The wide angle GoPro Hero looks interesting and may just do the trick ... I will check and see if it is available without the weight-adding UW housing ... and I wonder if their 4.9oz weight spec is just the camera, or with the housing. It's a shame they show videos and photos from all their applications EXCEPT radio control ...
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote