Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 24, 2009, 2:49 PM   #1

Default Olympus PEN E-P1 or Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1

I have used large DSLR cameras for years, but am now finding that they reduce my fun on vacations. I have tried a Canon G9 during this last year and it was just the right size, had great images but I did have some noise issues in dim lighting conditions and at night. Yes I like to take pictures at night.
I want a small lightweight camera, but I want to get near DSLR images. I was considering a G11 Canon, but then I started seeing the images from the E-P1 and the DMC-G1 and they both impressed me.
They seem to have a noise level that I can deal with. I would only carry one zoom lens while out site seeing.What do you people think? What camera/lens combination? Your imput would be very welcome, thanks..........
Noovuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2009, 3:58 PM   #2

Noovuss-

Based on the professional reviews that I have read on the Micro 4/3 cameras, they each have some pluses and minuses.

The Olympus Pen is slow to focus, has no optical viewfinder, but it can accept a slight larger variety of lenses.

The Panasonic G is much faster to focus, has an excellent EVF, costs less, has a two lens kit available, however, it does not do video clips.

There is a starting position for you. The Micro 4/3 format is a rapidly growing segment of the market. Photo samples look rather amazing in my opinion as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 4:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Noovuss-

Based on the professional reviews that I have read on the Micro 4/3 cameras, they each have some pluses and minuses.

The Olympus Pen is slow to focus, has no optical viewfinder, but it can accept a slight larger variety of lenses.

The Panasonic G is much faster to focus, has an excellent EVF, costs less, has a two lens kit available, however, it does not do video clips.

There is a starting position for you. The Micro 4/3 format is a rapidly growing segment of the market. Photo samples look rather amazing in my opinion as well.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for the input!!
It's funny and insane, but I haven't payed close attention to price yet. The only thing that stuck with me about price was that they are both affordable..
In some of the images that I have seen it seems that the E-P1 is a little sharper, maybe thats adjustable in the cameras. I don't know yet.
Yes they both seem amazing for the size of the package. This could cause me to become a lens collector, since I don't mind manual focus when not traveling.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 4:32 PM   #4

Noovuss-

Yes, sharpness, as well as contrast, and color are adjustable with these cameras. Sharpness can also be enhanced in post processing as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 8:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Noovuss-

In addition

Oly E-P1: lacks a built-in flash; rear LCD finder is fixed.

Pana G-1: built-in flash; rear LCD finder is articulated.

They use the same lens mount so the compatible lens list and list of adapter for other mounts is the same. There may need to be firmware updates in either body and/or lenses to enable all features.

There has also been good evidence circulated (real pictures and not fakes or mockups) of a new, additional model from Panasonic, the GF-1. The GF-1 seems to be targeted as a competitor to the E-P1 as it lacks the eyelevel electronic VF (commonly called an EVF but should be called an EEVF, IMHO) and the rear LCD is fixed like the Pen. The GF-1, it appears, will have a built-in flash and retains a hot-shoe for mounting external flashes. There is also a "mystery connector" on the back just below the shoe that has lead some to speculate on the possibility of a removeable EVF. Guesses on a release date center on early September.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 2:45 AM   #6
Super Moderator

The M4/3 cameras are quite wonderful.

DSLR quality in a smaller package. A lot of people are using them with their Leica M-mount rangefinder lenses with an adapter.

Very innovative and a real boost to those looking for great quality in a smaller package.

My next digital camera will almost certainly be M4/3.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 7:39 AM   #7

I held the Pana G1, its nice. The only issue (for me) is the lack of lenses at the moment. Some good info here if you haven't already found it.

Matt
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:48 AM   #8

Although the G1 is slightly larger, I believe it's a better camera than the EP-1. It has many features (already pointed out) that the EP-1 does not. Personally, not having an EVF is a huge negative and the lack of a built in flash is even worse. What is the purpose of having a super small DSLR if you have to always carry a flash unit along with it?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 6:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
In addition

Oly E-P1: lacks a built-in flash; rear LCD finder is fixed.

Pana G-1: built-in flash; rear LCD finder is articulated.

They use the same lens mount so the compatible lens list and list of adapter for other mounts is the same. There may need to be firmware updates in either body and/or lenses to enable all features.

There has also been good evidence circulated (real pictures and not fakes or mockups) of a new, additional model from Panasonic, the GF-1. The GF-1 seems to be targeted as a competitor to the E-P1 as it lacks the eyelevel electronic VF (commonly called an EVF but should be called an EEVF, IMHO) and the rear LCD is fixed like the Pen. The GF-1, it appears, will have a built-in flash and retains a hot-shoe for mounting external flashes. There is also a "mystery connector" on the back just below the shoe that has lead some to speculate on the possibility of a removeable EVF. Guesses on a release date center on early September.
Having a EEVF is a big plus, having fought with the sun with a G9.
The articulated LCD is another plus for me.
Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 25, 2009, 6:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
The M4/3 cameras are quite wonderful.

DSLR quality in a smaller package. A lot of people are using them with their Leica M-mount rangefinder lenses with an adapter.

Very innovative and a real boost to those looking for great quality in a smaller package.

My next digital camera will almost certainly be M4/3.
I agree about cameras, they really are wonderful. Image to camera size ratio is fantastic.