Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 24, 2009, 1:50 PM   #1

Default New to the photography world

I've never been much interested in taking pictures until a friend of mine showed me some shots she took with her digital camera. I was hooked. Now I'd like to find the perfect camera for me. Keep in mind please that I am a beginner and need a simple point and shoot type camera. I will be taking photos mostly in low light and I'll need a powerful zoom as I plan to take landscape type photos. Ideally I'd like to have a camera that's versitile, but as I've read in many of these posts, I understand that one size does not fit all occasions. I love to attend concerts and I'd like to be able to take great shots in those situations too..low light and from a distance. The beginner's camera that I own now is a kodak and only has a 3x zoom with 5 mp. It takes really good candid shots of my kids but it's not great in low light. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
littlek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2009, 2:50 PM   #2

LittleK-

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Forum. Concert photos are a tough number, in as much as the Security Forces at any concert will not let any "professional" looking camera through security to the concert.

Therefore, we need to find a very talented low light camera that has an innocent look to it. My suggestion would be either of two cameras. (1) the New Fuji F-70 camera which can shoot quite nicely at ISO speeds up to ISO 800 and it has 10X optical zoom (27mm to 270mm). (2) the Fuji F-200 which is also a high ISO capable camera with 5X optical zoom.

If I have become too technical with my terminology, please let me know and we can break down the terms. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 2:54 PM   #3

I have a Sony W290 P&S and I love it. Its a great 12MP Camera with a 5X optical zoom. It has a 3" Screen and superb battery life. It also shoots HD Video, has overall good image quality, and amazing Macro. With that said, it doesn't always take the best low-light photos, but most P&S cameras that I've dealt with don't.

You may want to check Sony's new line up of P&S cameras. They supposedly take great pictures in low lighting.

Heres the link to their new cameras:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665953687

And here are some pictures I took with my W290:

adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:33 AM   #4

Well, I understood everything you said mtclimber except the ISO part? I feel as if I'll never find a camera that will meet my expectations. My daughter has a choir competition coming up and I'd love to find a great camera before then. Of course this will be another one of those "concert" type settings...dark and I'm sure I'll be rather far away. Also, can you explain a little more about mega pixels...everything I've read just makes my head swim. Hopefully once I get a little more advanced, this will become like a second language to me. Thanks again for your help. I am looking into the 2 cameras you suggested. I think maybe the Fuji FinePix F70 will be the contender because of the 10x zoom. Most of the time I will not be very close to my subjects, so a powerful zoom will probably be a necessity.
littlek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:16 AM   #5

Default ZS-1 photo Sample at ISO 800

LittleK-

When we go into the camera's menu and adjust the camera's ISO setting numerically upward, we are increasing the camera's ability to record a photo in a low light level situation.

The Fuji F-70 as well as either the Panasonic ZS-1 or ZS-3, and the Sony H-20 can easily be operated in a fully Automatic Mode and are capable of taking photos in low light level conditions. All that has to be done is to numerically increase the camera's ISO setting by using the camera's menu.

Here is a sample photo taken with the Panasonic ZS-1 camera without flash, inside, in a very low light light level environment. I simply advance the ZS-1's ISO setting to ISO 800 and snapped the photo. Perhaps that same technique will work well for your daughter's choir appearance.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:20 AM   #6

Default Sony H-20 Photo Sample at ISO 800

LittleK-

Here is the Sony H-20 camera's photo at ISO 800.

Of the three camera's discussed the Sony H-20 is the best bang for the buck at $(US) 240.00. The H-20 features 10X optical zoom, fully automatic picture taking, a great flash range of up to 20 feet when Auto ISO is used, the ability to take HD video clips and all packaged in a very small camera size.

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Here is a sample photo taken with the Panasonic ZS-1 camera without flash, inside, in a very low light light level environment. I simply advance the ZS-1's ISO setting to ISO 800 and snapped the photo.
Sarah Joyce
I'm sorry Sarah, but this image does not look good to me (nothing to do with you, but the camera IMO). The image is not focused, it's grainy and lacks in resolution. I think that this is a great example of how poorly the ZSn performs in low light conditions and it reinforces my belief that the ZS1/ZS3 have very limited indoor capabilities. I'd go with the H20 any time (even though I don't like the fact that its lens starts at 37mm).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:32 AM   #8

Of course you are correct, Tullio-

I was experimenting with both the ZS1 and the H-20 using ISO 800. The H-20 image naturally looks better than the ZS1, it is just the design of the ZS1 camera.

All in all the H-20 continues to please me a lot.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:12 AM   #9

You are selling me on the H20, Sarah. I already have a Raynox WA converter from the old days when I first bought the H1 (as you know the H1 has a 36mm lens, not much wider than the H20). I need to play with it on my son's H3 to see how well it works.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:16 AM   #10

Tullio-

The H-20 continues to surprise me every day with what it can do. It has a lot of bang for the buck, all in a nice small form factor.

Sarah Joyce