Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 26, 2009, 3:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
It depends on the lens. The price of the 45-200mm fluctuates between $240 and $290 on Amazon. I don't consider this to be that expensive considering the quality of the glass and how compact it is. Sure you have more options with Sony (mostly old Minolta lenses), Nikon and Canon because besides the brand name lenses you also have the Tamron and Sigma options. However, the real good lenses for these cameras are not that cheap either.
I agree. My walk-around lens for my Canon sells for $1,000. Each system has one or two inexpensive gems, but quality zoom lenses are usually $400+ for something in the 200-300mm range.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 4:16 AM   #12

thanks for all your help.

I'm thinking about the Sony A230 or A330. I really want Live view but I'm unsure if an extra $100 is worth it.
As to Len's I'm starting with the standard len's and I was going to look at either a Sigma 70-300 or Tamron 70-300mm, f4-5.6 Di Lens..???????

I also like the Cannon 1000d, but it doesn't have Image stability in the body and that means the len's are going to cost a lot more.???

cheers
lambo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo7 View Post
I also like the Cannon 1000d, but it doesn't have Image stability in the body and that means the len's are going to cost a lot more.???

cheers
I can't say much about the 1000d because I haven't heard from too many users of it - but the part about Canon lenses costing a lot more is a complete myth. They have a 17-55 kit lens and 55-250 IS zoom lens that are no more expensive than the competition. By the time you get up to pro glass - the Canon lenses with IS cost no more than their counterparts either. The only issue with Canon or Nikon for that matter is short prime lenses - they don't have IS at all.

In my experience though, next to MP count, anti-shake is probably the most overrated feature. Especially in short (<200mm) lenses. I say that as someone who has several IS capable lenses. My walkaround lens has it. But the amount of shots I've taken with my walkaround where IS has been necessary is less than 1%. My honest opinion is I see a lot of examples of shots touting IS - and the vast majority fall into 2 camps:
1: shots of books/walls/ etc - the shot is purely to test IS and has no value to the user.
2: a poor shot - the shot STILL has camera shake or motion blur because the user relied on IS instead of the right tool for the job

anti shake has great benefit at longer focal lengths and there are certain instances where it is beneficial - museums, wedding ceremonies (assuming you're using fast glass anyway).. And I say all this with knowledge that kit lenses for Nikon or Canon have IS anyway - as do quite a few of their consumer grade zooms.

Still, everyone is different and if anti-shake in the body is important too you then stick to Sony, Pentax or Oly systems.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:41 AM   #14

Quote:
I'm thinking about the Sony A230 or A330.
Be sure to handle these before making your choice. I much prefer the older Sony designs, like my A200. And the new A500 also addresses the handling shortcomings of the A230/330, but it's pretty expensive.

As my prior digital cameras were all compacts with live view, I thought giving this feature up was going to be a pain. But I am learning to adapt. In my (updated!) opinion there are lots more important factors in DSLR selection than live view.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 9:12 PM   #15

lambo-

I really do not know if I dare say it, but the Panasonic FZ-28 (I have one) was a magnificent camera. The Panasonic G-1 or GH-1, or GF-1 might indeed be the logical replacement camera. However, I would not be in a super hurry to hasten over to the Sony A-230 DSLR ( no offense, JimC).

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 3:59 AM   #16

Mmmmmm, Yea, the FZ28 is indeed a great camera, but really want a DSLR now.....I want to try new technique's etc......
I think i'll go for the Sony A330 with the standard len's and a 70-300mm lens.......now need to choose between Sigma and Tamron.????
thanks so much for everyones help.
lambo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:24 AM   #17

Out of of the DLSR brands I tried (Nikon, Olympus, Pentax and Sony), I like the Sony best. My first Sony was the A300. IMO, it had the best LV implementation of all brands at the time. I then sold it in favor of the Oly E520 only because I had a whole bunch of expensive Zuiko lenses from when I had the E510. I was so disappointed with the E520 that I sold all my Oly gear and bought the A200 since I hardly used the LV feature of the A300. I think the A330 is an excellent choice. However, today I'm more inclined toward the G1 for its very compact size, EVF, which gives you the ability to see the image as the camera sees it before taking the picture and great IQ. I also like the fact that the 45-200mm lens is very small considering its long range and gives me a 400mm reach.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote