Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 25, 2009, 3:33 PM   #1

Default From a Luxmix FZ28 to a ???????

Hi,
I'm new here so a big hello.
I've had my Luxmix FZ28 for just over a year now and I'd like to get my 1st DSLR, but which one is a really good all rounder.? I have up to 400-500. Also is it best to go for the one with the best mega-pixel I can afford.?
thanks
lambo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2009, 4:01 PM   #2

Megapixel count is probably the least important criteria when judging DSLRs. Probably the most important aspect is which DSLR SYSTEM is the right fit for you. Unlike digicams, you don't replace the entire camera when you upgrade a DSLR. Over time, you'll spend more $$ on lenses and flashes than you will on a camera body. So you don't want to switch systems every time you buy a new body. Any DSLR on the market, paired with appropriate lens will be capable of capturing higher quality photos than your fz28. But every DSLR and every system has it's pros and cons. What types of photos do you take and what features are important (forget things like "image quality" - all dslrs will have image quality.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 8:57 PM   #3

I agree that the Mp doesn't mean much at this price level. Many folks go on to buy a lot of lenses, but not everybody. I do pay a bit of attention to the features for a given model. Here is a link to another thread on this price range -

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...teur-dslr.html

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:56 AM   #4

If you want to keep it small, I'd consider the Panasonic G1. It's one of the smallest DSLRs out there, a totally different breed of camera. Its M4/3 sensor size allows it for compact lenses to be built. Since this sensor has a 2x cropping factor, the kit lens, which is 14-45mm becomes 28-90mm and the 45-200mm lens becomes 90-400mm. This is not only a great quality lens but very small for its range as well. In case this camera does not appeal to you, then you have a huge variety of other brands and models to choose from at various prices.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:20 AM   #5

Well we have seen so great ideas put forward. The idea of the Pansonic G1 appeals to me as well. However, I think that we have honestly determine what budget we have to work with as step one. based on the OP's first post, the top budget figure of 500 pounds sterling equate to about $(US) 875.00.

So the suggestions thus far are right on target.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:50 AM   #6

Please allow me to chime in even though I'm new to photography.

Besides the camera and two lenses (normal & telephoto), the OP might need a decent external flash ($200 -300), a couple of decent filters (UV & CPL), a couple of memory cards, extra batteries, some decent cleaning kit like rocket blower and goat hair brush etc... and a large enough bag to carry all equipment.

In my case, I ended up spending extra $350 -400 for accessories besides the camera & two lenses.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 1:45 PM   #7

hi,
I had a look at the G1 today, it looks and feels nice but the len's are quite expensive.
I also liked the Sony A230, but the only downside is that I wanted "live view" IF I could find a camera with it..???
cheers
lambo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 1:57 PM   #8

lambo-

When you get into the A-300 series of Sony DSLR cameras, you will find some of the very best "live view" implementation.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 2:29 PM   #9

Yep, great liveview - but the downside is smaller viewfinders for non live-view and worse high ISO performance because of too many pixels on older CCD sensors (here's where more MP is a bad thing. The 300 series has worse high ISO performance than the 200 series because of the extra MP on this outdated sensor technology).

So it's a trade-off. Everything is - there is no single camera that is the best at everything.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 3:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo7 View Post
hi,
I had a look at the G1 today, it looks and feels nice but the len's are quite expensive....
It depends on the lens. The price of the 45-200mm fluctuates between $240 and $290 on Amazon. I don't consider this to be that expensive considering the quality of the glass and how compact it is. Sure you have more options with Sony (mostly old Minolta lenses), Nikon and Canon because besides the brand name lenses you also have the Tamron and Sigma options. However, the real good lenses for these cameras are not that cheap either.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote