Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 27, 2009, 1:58 PM   #41

Default Pentax K-2000 Photo Sample at ISO 1600

anthony_b-

Unfortunately, your information regarding the Pentax K-2000's high ISO capability is untrue.

I own the K-2000 and regularly shoot stage productions at ISO 1600. I have attached a sample photo.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 2:44 PM   #42

that's a decent picture with some noise in the background, but still a good output.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:44 AM   #43

The rumors regarding the K2000 low light are absolutely untrue. First at ISO 2500, second at ISO 3200. That's not noise on the car hood, it was pitted.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:36 AM   #44

If low light level photo performance is one of the top priorities for anyone, they might want to look at the reviews of the Nikon D-5000 DSLR camera.

It is a very good high ISO performing camera.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:08 PM   #45
Administrator

Yes, the D5000 is using a Sony 12MP CMOS sensor that does quite well at higher ISO speeds. My Sony A700 is also using a Sony 12MP CMOS sensor and I've been quite happy with it.

You may also want to take a look at the just announced Sony A500, which also uses a Sony 12MP CMOS Sensor (and the new Sony A500 has a slightly lower price point with a suggested retail of $750, as compared to the Nikon D5000, with the Sony model offering a higher available ISO speed setting, too).

In addition, the new Sony A500 will allow the use of lenses without a focus motor built in (and the used market is full of Minolta Autofocus lenses that work on it, and they'd all be stabilized, thanks to an in body stabilization system in the Sony), whereas the Nikon D5000 requires the use of a lens with a built in focus motor if you want Autofocus (ruling out the use of many Nikkor and third party lenses that don't have a built in motor if you want Autofocus).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...00-review.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:27 PM   #46

Thanks for posting, JimC-

Yes, the new Sony A-500 and A-550 models are very attractive and do compete (at least in terms of specs) with the Nikon D-5000 DSLR camera. It will be interesting to see how the professional reviews turn out.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:31 PM   #47
Administrator

The new Sony is missing video capture. So, keep that in mind if video is something you're interested in. Personally, I've never used any of the cameras I've owned for movies (other than a quick test to see if that feature worked or not with the cameras that had it). But, some users may be interested in having the ability to capture video.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:23 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_b View Post
Boy, this has really taken the fun out of getting a new toy.
You want simple, you want a camera that can give you good pix, right out of the box. I have a K2000 (KM)...you put it on automatic for outdoors and you'll get good photos.

The basic zoom which goes from a moderate wide angle at 18mm will give you shots of groups of people, buildings, shots of your new car...that kind of thing.

Zoom the lens out to it's maximum at 55mm and you got a nice moderate portrait lens, if you want to take a nice close up shot of your child, or say your wife and child.

The K2000 has a pop up flash that works real well, for group shots, say birthday party shots.

In fact i think there was a deal for the K2000 where Pentax threw in a basic flash that has more power than the pop up.

I've been very happy with my KM (k2000). Originally I looked at getting possibly the best Point and shoot, the Canon G10, which was about the same price as my KM on sale. But even the best P + S can't compete with a good, entry DSLR...due to things like smaller sensor which won't give you the same quality of pix, or shutter lag. I have a Panasonic P + S, good camera, but when I press the shutter ...it takes a bit of time before the picture is taken, characteristic of a P + S, I believe, but not of a entry DSLR, which takes the pix as soon as you hit the shutter button.

You can also get additional lenses as your budget allows for a DSLR. With a P + S...you're stuck with what it came with.

I know the Pentax K2000 is a great little camera, as I have one. But when I was working (retired recently) we had a entry Sony DSLR at work, similar to the K2000. It was good also.

In using both the entry Sony and the entry Pentax, I prefer the Pentax. But I have to admit, I've never been a Sony fan, I've haven't been particularly happy with some of their (non photographic) products that I've bought over the years. So far,I've had Pentax products for over 40 years, they've been very good.

You may want to also consider the basic Canon DSLR. My kids have Canon cameras and they have been very good, reliable units over the past 2-3 years.

Last edited by lesmore49; Aug 29, 2009 at 11:33 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:43 PM   #49

Good reply, Les-

Yes, you are indeed very correct. Even the Canon XS DSLR camera, like the Pentax K-2000, has a lot to recommend it, as well as being a very high ISO capable camera.

The key issue for the OP, anthony_b is that she wants to operate entirely in the full automatic mode. As you well know, Les, that is not always the best camera mode to get the very best image quality. It all comes down to learning more about the Photo Craft, so that you can obtain even better image quality in your images.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 31, 2009, 12:00 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Good reply, Les-

Yes, you are indeed very correct. Even the Canon XS DSLR camera, like the Pentax K-2000, has a lot to recommend it, as well as being a very high ISO capable camera.

The key issue for the OP, anthony_b is that she wants to operate entirely in the full automatic mode. As you well know, Les, that is not always the best camera mode to get the very best image quality. It all comes down to learning more about the Photo Craft, so that you can obtain even better image quality in your images.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks, Sarah regarding my reply.

I agree with you Sarah. A long time (32 years) friend of mine, last year wanted to get into DSLR's. He bought a K200D with a few lenses. We go out photographing about once a week...different places, different subjects, 25 below to 90 above (wide range of temps in Canada) and so far he is still on full automatic mode. His pictures are quite good for a beginner, but I'm still working on getting him to try ...all his settings...on his K200D.

He will eventually I feel, as he gains confidence in his abilities...just as you say as he learns more about his photo craft...

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote