Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 27, 2009, 2:58 PM   #11

Good point, seems like the T1i is roughly the same price as the 40D though for lightly used or refurb variants...

Last edited by billmidd; Aug 27, 2009 at 3:16 PM.
billmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:41 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I wouldn't accept a guarantee; I'd want a warranty. What's the point of buying a used dLSR plus lenses and accessories, and then just getting your money back for the dSLR? What can you do with all the other stuff you bought? Don't accept a guarantee. Get a promise that they'll fix it if it doesn't work, not just a promise that you'll get your money back.
It could just be semantics or a difference in UK and US law. A warranty here is something you pay for additional to a guarantee, a guarantee will be for a period of time to allow something to be fixed or replaced rather than just a money back guarantee (although that's not a bad thing either as worst case is you lose nothing).

So to clarify I suggest that you get a guarantee/warranty/something to ensure that you are protected if there is a fault.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 7:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Matt - simple: watch any major professional sporting event. See all the white lenses? Those are Canon cameras. Canon & Nikon control 99.9% of the pro sports shooting world. Some of that technology has filtered down to their entry and intermediate cameras. No other manufacturer out there has a pro sports body. The closest is the Sony a700 which is a prosumer body (competes with Canon 50d). The challenge when doing research is camera reviews simply do not perform tests of action photography. So, if you want to see results you need to look for examples from other people using the cameras in the field. But feel free to find a competant sports shooter - one who shoots difficult sports like basketball, volleyball, soccer, football and is using wide aperture lenses (300mm 2.8 or longer) where focus issues show up more who feels Pentax, Oly or Sony focus systems (other than A700) can compete with Canon & Nikon. And in Canon's case, the T1i and Xsi have a fantastic focus system at a sub $1000 price.

Edit: The challenge with Nikon is you need to jump up to the D90 to get a fully functional focus system. The d40/60 had stripped down focus systems. The D5000 has a better focus array, but it's unknown whether the brains behind the array is back up to D90 standards. From D90 and up, Nikon is top notch. In fact the D300 is still probably the best prosumer sports body on the market. But that's outside the OP's budget (as is the D90).
I realise that pro sports shooters usually use Canon. But, in a recent thread here, there was an argument about the 5D mark something and its AF speed. Just because the high end products of a certain manufacturer are good and better that the other manufacturers, doesn't mean that its low-market and mid-market products are also better than the others. Oh and a recent article about the photographers for L'Equipe showed their Nikon bias. D3s and D3Xes seem to be more and more popular.

I wasn't trying to be rude or pedantic asking for the link, I really wondered if the 450D, 500D or 1000D were really better that their Nikon equivalents.

Matt
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post

I wasn't trying to be rude or pedantic asking for the link, I really wondered if the 450D, 500D or 1000D were really better that their Nikon equivalents.

Matt
The short answer is the 450/500 are better than the d40/d60. I would never recommend the 1000d for sports work. The D5000 is untested in the field as far as I can tell. As I mentioned, Nikon stripped down the focus array AND focus processing in the d40/d60. The array is back in the d5000 but it's unknown about the processing.

Once you get up to the D90, things are even. The d300 vs. 50d is a little tougher. The best comparison I saw from someone using both systems was summarized as: the 50d is faster to focus but the d300 was more accurate. In my book that means the edge goes to the d300. For all around shooting there's no question the focus array of the d300 is an advantage over the d50.

As to the 5dmkII and it's focus you have to look at everything in context. The 5dII does not have as good a focus as other pro cameras from Canon (1dsmkiii, 1dmkiii) or Nikon (d3,d3x,d700). It's squarely where Canon intentionally put it - above the 50d and below the 1d series. Lots of Canon users wish it were better but so far Canon refuses to pull their 1-series focus down to the 5 series. So, when you talk about 5d focus performance - it's a relative thing. It's better than most but not up to the pro cameras from Canon or Nikon.

Also, for what it's worth, it appears from Nikon users there is still a difference between d3 focus and d700/d300. The array is in those two cameras but by accounts from other sports shooters, they don't have the same brains.

But the OP isn't buying a 50d or D90 or D300, much less a d3 or 1dmkIII.

For the price point the OP is after the XSi / T1i deliver better focus performance than their Nikon counterparts. Further up the food chain the edge would go to Nikon
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:09 PM   #15

Thanks for the explanation JohnG.

The non-pro but high spec dSLRs are where I'll be looking around Xmas for my next purchase. I haven't spent thousands on Nikon equipment (yet) but I was thinking of the D300 (a 2nd hand one) as a step up.

Matt
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote