Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 28, 2009, 2:11 AM   #1

Default Which P&S to buy

hi,
i am on the lookout for a good P&S .
These are the features i am looking for
* 10 MP or greater
* Optical zoom greater than 3x (pref 5x)
* wide angle lens
* big LCD display

Im not too particular about HD video recording and other high end features coz its after all just a P&S .

I have shortlisted a few - plz advice on which to buy coz i find most of the reviews from users very conflicting - from very bad to very good

Nikons - S560 , S570
canon - SD890IS
I'm open to other brands also ..plz advise
kool_kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:43 AM   #2

kool_kat-

I would suggest that you also consider the Panasonic FX-580, the Nikon P-6000, and the Canon G-11 as well. If your camera's physical "smallness" is important to you, then the Canon G-11 will probably be removed from the list.

Yes, I do agree that user comments, sometimes do seem to vary somewhat, that is the reason that I always counsel reading the professional reviews which are not (hopefully) tinged with personal feeling as well.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:11 AM   #3

Quote:
* wide angle lens
None of the cameras listed in the OP have an extra wide angle zoom. The models that do have that feature are the Canon SD960 IS and the Nikon S620.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 1:13 AM   #4

thank you , mtclimber and kCook for taking time to answer my query.really appreciate it.
sarah, yes you are correct - i am looking for an easily pocketable point ans shoot.
It would be mainly used to capture family events and occasional outdoor trips.
I went thru your suggested models - i particularly liked the FX 580,but it sees frightfully expensive at $400 for a P&S.

On the review part , i couldnt agree better,the only prof review i found of the Nikon S560 is here.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita...-S560/comments

i would have closed my eyes and gone ahead and bought it if this review was on dpreview..but sadly its not.thats why i'm a bit hesitant
Also the cost factor springs - i would prefer it within $200.

Kelly,yes i understand its not true wide angle lens in the true sense ,but more like the
The wide angle end of the zoom.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 1:32 AM   #5

All zoom lenses have a wide angle end, so that requirement becomes moot.

The Nikon S560 shows rather soft images. Make your own check, download a sample from the review you found. Not enough softness to be a problem for snap shots for 4x6 prints or posting on Facebook. But this is noticable on a large display. The new S570 may be better in this regard. No reviews yet, so no way to be sure.

The Canon SD890 has a viewfinder. If that is not a key feature for you, then the design is a bit dated. Which is why the prices on the remaining ones has dipped down to $200. Still, I would take this over the Nikon S560.

Here is a link to another thread for more ideas -

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...int-shoot.html

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 1:11 PM   #6

The PowerShot SD890 seems to be a popular choice around..and there are lots of favourable reviews for it...true , the soft images seem to be a problem,i guess the review may not suffice,some one who has actually used one may be able to give a better answer. For now the SD890 seems to be leading the race,thanks kelly for making things a bit simpler

At the price front, what i notice is that the canon's are priced way ahead of the nikons..is there any particular reason for that ?what i mean is does the 50 -75$ really show up in the picture or is it just the brand label talking ?