Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 28, 2009, 1:06 PM   #1

Default Nikon P90, Olympus SP-590 or Panasonic FZ28/38 ???????????

Currently using a Kodak Z740 but looking to upgrade.

Can't decide on the Nikon P90 , Olympus SP-590 or the Panasonic DMC-FZ28 (or wait for the FZ38 to come out soon).

Would like to go DSLR but having trouble persuading my other have that I really need one

Would like wide and large zoom so the P90 seems to fit the bill.

Use the camera a lot for day to day pictures but I do like my scenic pics and wildlife as well - that's where the wide & large zoom would be handy

Any opinions or recommendations to help me make my choice ?
bubbles19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2009, 1:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles19 View Post
Currently using a Kodak Z740 but looking to upgrade.

Can't decide on the Nikon P90 , Olympus SP-590 or the Panasonic DMC-FZ28 (or wait for the FZ38 to come out soon).

Would like to go DSLR but having trouble persuading my other have that I really need one

Would like wide and large zoom so the P90 seems to fit the bill.

Use the camera a lot for day to day pictures but I do like my scenic pics and wildlife as well - that's where the wide & large zoom would be handy

Any opinions or recommendations to help me make my choice ?
I've had all of those (including the Z740). I kept the SP590 - if tells you anything. There's currently a thread with sample shots here:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...m-gallery.html
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Aug 28, 2009 at 1:39 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 1:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I've had all of those (including the Z740). I kept the SP590 - if tells you anything. There's currently a thread with sample shots here:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...m-gallery.html

wow - some great shots there. Think I need to go to Inverness or Aberdeen and get a proper look/play with all these Cameras before I decide what to get.

Alex
bubbles19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 2:27 PM   #4

Default Olympus SP-590 versus the Olympus E-620 DSLR

Alex-

Here is an even more telling comparison that I did this morning between the Oly SP-590 and the Oly E-620 DSLR camera that I received this morning.

Now granted the DSLR will be able to cope with more difficult shooting environments than the SP-590, but this is how they look in the very same photo environment.

However, it is a telling comparison.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 3:29 PM   #5

Default A High Quality E-620 Photo Image

Alex-

However, if we begin to pixel peep at a 100% crop, the Olympus E-620 image is a much better image than the image provided by the Olympus SP-590. So the size of the posted photo can be deceptive.

Here is a 100% crop of the Olympus E-620's image.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 28, 2009, 6:26 PM   #6

I would definitely go with the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ28.
I was in your shoes a couple of weeks ago. After reading tons of tests I decided to get the FZ28. Unfortenately it was sold out every were, so I had to re-think my decision. So I chose the Canon SX10 instead. The day I was going to order the FX10, I saw that one shop had 1 FZ28 in stock. So I ordered it. I have tried it today for the first time, and itīs a killer. Im very happy I managed to get it.
Search for the FZ28 on flickr.com and you will see lots of photos taken with it.
Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 6:56 PM   #7

Daniel-

Certainly I agree with you, as I too own a Panasonic FZ-28 camera. However, the OP is attempting to decide between going with super zooms such as the Panasonic FZ-35, the Nikon P-90, and the Olympus SP-590 cameras or a consumer level DSLR camera.

I happen to shoot with both super zooms and DSLR cameras. However, in a spirit of fairness, I have to acknowledge that a consumer level DSLR camera is able to provide an image quality that you cannot attain in a super zoom camera, as good as they might be. That is really the divide between the super zooms and DSLR cameras.

In the final analysis, the question is simply this: is that difference in image quality between a super zoom and a consumer level DSLR camera great enough to push you over to the DSLR camera side of the field?

Some folks will stay with their super zooms, and that is fine. However, for those that opt for the consumer level DSLR camera, then very large enlargements are possible, and they will also be able to shoot under more trying photo environments than the super zoom can handle. You will also be able to shoot at higher ISO settings with the consumer level DSLR than with a super zoom.

Is that enough difference for you to move to the DSLR field? It does not matter what your decision might be. Al that matter is that you are happy with the camera that you have.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:13 AM   #8

First, it's pretty hard to find the FZ28. Some preliminary reviews of the FZ38 has shown that it has a slight improvement over the FZ28 in terms of its image stabilization system (although that's not to say the the OIS on the FZ28 was not efficient...it is very efficient indeed so the improvement on the FZ38 are not meant to fix any existing issue on the FZ28). Video is another area where the FZ38 has improved over the FZ28 (not a biggy for me since I don't care too much about video and the FZ28 does a fine job in this department as well). Now, DSLRs are becoming more and more attractive due to the low "initial" cost of some brand/models. Note that I used the word initial because in reality, a cheap DSLR with a kit lens won't get you more than 3x zoom in terms of focal length. So, if you want to get "close" to the range offered by a super zoom, it will cost you. Not only that, you'll have to carry a large bag with your camera lenses and accessories and having the hassle of swapping lenses all the time. You can buy one of those 28-300mm lens as an all around lens but their IQ is inferior to other zoom lenses such as 70-300mm, 75-300mm or 100-300mm. In summary, price-wise some DSLRs may at a first glance sound very attractive but it will cost you more in the long run and you loose practicality.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:39 AM   #9

Well said, Tullio-

You and I are not alone in our desire not to carry a karge camera kit and to have to change lenses in difficult circumstances. I have 30 day return privileges on the Oly E-620 I just purchased. When I unpacked it, it was a lot larger than I expected. That was surprise #1. Surprise #2 came when I rounded up some glass from storage and set it out all together on the table, the camera kit was rapidly growing in size.

The super zooms really do have the advantage in terms of convenience. God bless them.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:16 PM   #10

I have all 3 superzooms mentioned. I prefer the FZ28. The Nikon P90 does not, in my opinion, have good image stabilization. I believe they call it vibration reduction. If you have shaky hands, like I do, or sway a little, when you try to stand perfectly still, the Nikon P90 is not for you. The SP590, like all of the Olympus ultra zooms, also in my opinion, produces soft images. I have the Panasonic FZ28. I will upgrade to the FZ35 (USA version of FZ38) because I want those extra 2 megapixels for small bird cropping and resizing. It has, in my opinion, the best image quality even if the zoom is only 18x compared to the longer zooms of the other two.
ZZFan is offline   Reply With Quote