Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 2, 2009, 4:19 PM   #11

marcus-

Please keep in mind that Samsung's record of producing creditable digital cameras with high performance is pretty dismal. I am not overly excited at all by Samsung's new camera.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 4:25 PM   #12

oh , not really read up on the Samsung to be honest , think i will probably wait till nearer the time and take my memory card's in , take a few similar photo's under different light sources (if the store will let me walk outside :lol and compare them at home , then decide..

i know November is an age away but i want to go in ready with different models ready to try.

what's the betting they'll be another one out before then , i'm keeping my eyes peeled on the forums here as they seem to get the knowledge before the general consumer does.
UKmat71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 7:08 PM   #13

marcus-

In a recent professional review of the Samsung HW15, that Samsung camera did not fare very well other that getting positive comments about the camera's physical size and amount of zoom.

But, of course there is always the chance of a real "break through" for Samsung. IMO the top choice remains as the Panasonic FZ-35, followed by the Olympus SP-590 cameras.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 2, 2009 at 7:12 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:38 PM   #14

Can't wait to hear back what you think... I've had great success with samsung digital cameras. I didn't care for double AAs or quicktime video or it would've been my absolute top pick awhile back producing the best quality images (from a pixel peeping perspective especially, it was a digimax v70) as well as having the most features and yet the lowest price. My daughter has a samsung (D53) that does 640x480 avis that are so stunning they actually look better on my 52in hi-def lcd than some of the 720p camcorder videos I have.
Zcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:56 AM   #15

I think you used the correct words: "...COULD be better". The thing is, most cameras look good on paper (both their looks and specs) but many have disappointing performance. I'm not too crazy about Samsung products so I won't hold my breath.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
IMO the top choice remains as the Panasonic FZ-35, followed by the Olympus SP-590 cameras.
Hello Sarah, as you can see I'm new to the forum .
I wish to buy an high quality ultra-zoom bridge camera, and from what I read in this forum and in other ones, the Panasonic FZ35 still seems to be the best choice.
But the 18x zoom seems to be poor if compared to a 24x zoom... is it really a big difference?

I've also been positively impressed from picture quality of the Olympus SP-590UZ.
Colors just seem to me a bit more "natural", but unfortunately this camera can't shoot HD videos.

I also like very much the new Samsung HZ25W for what concerns technical features and design. It has got all the features I need, but I found this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The Samsung HZ25W is another camera produced by the same Chinese factory that has produced the Nikon P-90, the Kodak Z-980, the Pentax X-70, and now the Samsung HZ25W has been added to that family line. All four cameras use the very same 24X lens, beyond that each brand can add the feature they desire.
I found pictures from all the three cameras listed above, but I never saw a picture shot with the HZ25W.
So did you try the HZ25W? What about this camera if compared to the Panasonic FZ35?
arturo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:22 AM   #17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKmat71 View Post
oh no , just read this

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sa...m-samsung.html

looks very similar and shoots Raw.... . .. .

got to wait till October though

is it me or are cameras like cell phones , you find the best you can afford , then they just bring one out that could be better for similar money ???

Marcus
This is not good at all, but anyway at least it's something worth waiting for.[IMG]http://www.******************/storage/723.jpg[/IMG]
mexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:56 AM   #18

Hello, Arturo-

Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for dropping by.

As you discovered from my previous post, the Samsung HZ25W is another of the 24X optical zoom cameras being produced in China right now. That same factory simultaneously produces the Nikon P-90, the Kodak Z-980, the Pentax X-70, and now the Samsung HZ25W. The same lens is used in all cameras. The features are pretty much the same although you will find some variations. For example, the Kodak Z-980 has a hot shoe.

Now the Olympus SP-590 has 26X optical zoom and is a pretty sophisticated digital camera. It is capable of excellent image quality, within the limits of its small CCD type imager. Although refined and complex, and havinging excellent image quality, it is not a DSLR replacement, as above ISO 400 setting noise begins to adversely effect image quality in a very measurable way.

I have also included a Samsung HZ25W photo as you requested. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:25 AM   #19

Hello Sarah and many thanks for your additional informations.

Since there're still some little differences (even in image quality) among these four "chinese cameras", do you think that the Samsung HZ25W, at least, can be compared to the Panasonic FZ35, for what concerns image quality?

Please excuse me for my poor English... I'm Italian...
But I was meaning: I never saw a picture taken using the HZ25W...
arturo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:48 AM   #20

Arturo-

Please do not worry. Your English is excellent. I cannot speak fluent Italian, so you are better than me!

The Panasonic FZ-35/38 will, in every case, have better image quality than any of the four Chinese cameras. There is no doubt about that. The Samsung HZ25W has just been introduced here in the USA, and I have not had a chance to see any photos from that camera.

However, I am attaching a photo taken with my Kodak Z-980, which is one of the four Chines caneras.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images