Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 30, 2009, 12:28 PM   #1

Default waterproof/freezproof/shockproof camera vacation coming up

my other camera i'm after is a fun camera for when i take the family to Lapland to see good old Santa and do a bit of skiing , snowboarding (we never been skiing before so also has to be a shockproof one)
i have been reading the reviews at the top of the page and came up with another three.

the olympus tough 8000 (looks stylish and easy fit in pocket)
the canon D10 (looks damm ugly imo but the results look sweet)
and the Panasonic DMC-TS1 (another practical one)

we also go to Florida quite often as we have our own home there, so we are quite often try to take a camera to the beaches, water parks , and of course around our own pool. we will not be scuba diving with it so depth really is not needed. although the idea of it dropping into the pool haunts me every time i go over so at least 2 meters would be a minimum.

obviously we would like a great picture quality , looking for a quite large megapixel as i crop the photos quite a bit (usually for viewing on our HD TV) we dont print many out at all.

or can anyone reccomend a decent one , that they have had experience with.

regards again in advance
UKmat71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2009, 12:37 PM   #2

Just a thought, but it seems to me that the Canon would be easier to use while wearing gloves. I don't know if that matters or not.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 4:21 PM   #3

true ,

does anyone have any experience with olympus and the 'TAP' control , where you just have to tap the camera

Marcus

Last edited by UKmat71; Aug 30, 2009 at 4:25 PM. Reason: my kids cant sleep
Old Aug 30, 2009, 5:21 PM   #4

Marcus-

Sorry, I have no experience with TAP Control.

One more thought. I have been taking photos all over the world in both pleasant and very adverse climates for the past 60+ years. In all that time, I have never had a camera fail or become damaged.

IMO, if a camera is properly handled and cased, there really is no need for a waterproof, schockproof, and freeze proof camera. I sincerely believe that these, so called, "all-proof" cameras just encourages careless camera handling, while providing a less than stellar image quality performance. However, you must make your own choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 5:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Marcus-

Sorry, I have no experience with TAP Control.

One more thought. I have been taking photos all over the world in both pleasant and very adverse climates for the past 60+ years. In all that time, I have never had a camera fail or become damaged.

IMO, if a camera is properly handled and cased, there really is no need for a waterproof, schockproof, and freeze proof camera. I sincerely believe that these, so called, "all-proof" cameras just encourages careless camera handling, while providing a less than stellar image quality performance. However, you must make your own choice.

Sarah Joyce

but have you met any of my 8 kids :lol:

i know what you mean , but i dont want to pay $300 - $400 for a weeks worth of snaps in the kids hands.

i understand that if i dont get it wet , then i have no need for the freeze proof, to be honest its going to be -30 deg celcius (-22 f) and no one makes a camera that they guarantee will work in that temp (i'm not sure that i will operate in that temp let alone my camera)

im thinking more of the long term , we will use the camera for underwater photos when we come back to much warmer waters (ie florida) but also very usefull for water parks , seaworld (big whale that like to splash a lot , thats what almost killed my last one) , the canon comes to mind as it seems to have the best results at the lowest ISO. (from steve's reviews anyway)

i probably wont be using this camera anywhere else , unless its wet....
and it will be wet :lol:

thank you again for your answer
Marcus
Old Aug 30, 2009, 6:20 PM   #6

Default Pentax W-60 Underwater Photo Sample

If WET is the factor to be considered, Marcus-

Then you should really look to the Pentax line of W-cameras for the best image quality. The Pentax W-60 did very well and now there is even a Pentax W-80. You might want to do some investigating. Here is a photo sample from the Pentax W-60.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote