Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 3, 2009, 3:00 PM   #91

Thanks a lot, JimC-

I was really trying to determine chronologically when that mount was dropped by Minolta.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 3:11 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
As we head through this weekend setting up photo we (my husband and I) will attempt to give you a wide variety of photo environments.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

If you weren't so far away....I'd give you a big hug...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 3:56 PM   #93

I am learning a ton.
Sarah I am so grateful that you are running a test this week.
Littlejohn I agree with you that the sony a230 seems to have a small edge at this point. It will be awesome to see the photos from Sarah. I am excited to have the opportunity to see the photos before I purchase.
When I started the thread I was not interested in learning anything about photography because I didn't want to take the time. However I am grateful that Sarah and JimC were so honest and candid wtih me about the photos I was desiring to take and the pictures that would come from those. I am excited for the experiment and looking forward to the photos!! Thanks again!!!
tcn1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 4:10 PM   #94

Default The ISO 1600 Test

Well Bradley and I been trapped at home today waiting for UPS to deliver a new computer today, so we have had to do all the tests right here at home. Tomorrow we will be able to get out.

This test will now involve three cameras at littlejohn's request: The Canon XS, The Sony A-230, and the Sony H-20 a super zoom point and shoot camera.

In this test we are pushing the two DSLR cameras up to ISO 1600. Because the Sony H-20's ISO range tops out at ISO 800, that photo will be at ISO 800. While there are point and shoot cameras that can get up to ISO 1600, in image quality is poor, as electronic noise nearly covers all of the image.

Here is how the Canon XS looks at ISO 1600.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 3, 2009 at 4:21 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 4:22 PM   #95

Default ISO 1600 Test

Here is a side by side photo from the Canon XS and the A-230 DSLR at ISO 1600

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 3, 2009 at 4:32 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 4:43 PM   #96
Administrator

Again, as in the first portrait photos posted, you're filling the frame so much with a smaller subject that you've got a very shallow Depth of Field, making it difficult (if not impossible) to compare image quality between these models, since the conditions are not easily controlled (focus point, etc.).

For example, it looks like the camera body is more in focus with the Canon XS shot, and the front of the lens assembly is more in focus with the shot from the Sony.

Your depth of field is way too shallow to allow all of the subject to be sharp enough to easily compare image quality from those samples with the framing being used.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 4:47 PM   #97

Default H-20 ISO 800 Photo + A-230 with KM 50mm Prime

This photo shows a Sony A-230 photo taken using a 50mm KM lens along with the photo from the Sony H-20 camera at ISO 800. It was taken at ISO 800 instead of ISO 1600 because the ISO setting on the H-20 only goes up as far as ISO 800.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2009, 4:51 PM   #98

JimC-

You make a very good point. Try as I might, I could not get the 2 DSLR's to focus on the same point. I can change them both to center point focus. Please tell me if you thing that would provide a better sample or test.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:20 PM   #99

Default ISO 1600 Comparison with Fixed Focus Point

OK JimC-

I moved both DSLR cameras to center point focus, then I focused on the brand name "olympus" right near the built-in flash. The side by side comparison should be more realistic.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:56 PM   #100

Nice info, so which owner of the site is going to take all this information and make an easy to read guide? (at least of the technical notes, camera histories, and explanations minus the actual camera reviews.)
Xeoncross is offline   Reply With Quote