Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:04 PM   #101

Default dealing with VERY Strong Backlighting

Folks-

Here we are:its almost it is almost 5:00pm and still no computer delivery. Wow! Don't you love that drill! Oh well, here is another side by side comparison. Poster littlejohn asked that we increase the difficulty of these shots. So, we really have a doozzy for you! In this series, we had very powerful backlighting, that we had to overcome with rather powerful fill flash.

The backlighting was so strong or powerful that Bradley kept complaining that the LCD image was purple and my face was totally black, as he was taking these photos. So yes these photos were indeed a challenge.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:05 PM   #102

Default Dealing with VERY Strong Backlighting

Folks-

Here we are:its almost it is almost 5:00pm and still no computer delivery. Wow! Don't you love that drill! Oh well, here is another side by side comparison. Poster littlejohn asked that we increase the difficulty of these shots. So, we really have a doozzy for you! In this series, we had very powerful backlighting, that we had to overcome with rather powerful fill flash.

The backlighting was so strong or powerful that Bradley kept complaining that the LCD image was purple and my face was totally black, as he was taking these photos. So yes these photos were indeed a challenge.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:08 PM   #103

Default Handling Strong Backlighting with the Sony H-20 Camera

Hi there, Folks-

Here is the third photo. This time it is from the Sony H-20 camera, in accordance with littlejohn's request.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:47 PM   #104

Hi there, littlejohn-

How am I doing? I have managed to get your H-20 photos into the review, as promised. Who wants to add any other DSLR or super zoom cameras? If I own them, adding them to the mix will be easy. Pease just let me know. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:07 PM   #105

I am trying super hard to see all of the differences and there are subtle differences. Pictures may be good but I see where side by side comparisons show more detail or color or focus or.........
I have always leaned toward a canon b/c I have always been told that's the best. Convincing me that the Sony is equal if not better is very difficult but the photos seem to show that its performance is very good indeed.
Looking forward to seeing more.
Thanks,
t
tcn1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:21 PM   #106

Hi Sarah,

In my humble opinion, Canon is a bit more saturated than Sony in terms of the rendition of colors.

Thanks for the comparison review so far. It has been educational and fun.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:36 PM   #107

Sarah,
In your samples above what distance were you shooting at? I am assuming that they may be capable of more similar shots at short range than at longer range and that more of your difficulty comes in the longer the shot is.

Rita
ritap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:37 PM   #108

Hiro, my friend, I sincerely hope that you will remain with us-

Throughout this coming weekend we will be posting more side by side comparisons from the Canon XS, the Sony A-230, and the Sony H-20 cameras. If you want more cameras included, please let us know in detail. We will attempt to honor your request, provided that camera is within our personal inventory.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:38 PM   #109

Sarah,
I remember you comparing the flash distance of the Sony H20 to other point and shoots. How does it compare to the built in flash on these 2 DSLR's? I assume that will affect the shots when we zoom into or near the flash maximum range?
Rita
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:44 PM   #110

Sarah,
I am still interested in how the Panasonic fz28 compares to the Sony H20 or the Kodak you were demonstrating earlier.
Rita